Rowland 625 versus Audio Research DS450

I'm a big fan of Rowland Products. I heard the 625 at CES and was rather impressed by its huge solid soundstage, and the detailed yet mellifluous sound. I was rather depressed by the price tag. I was hoping it would be in Rowland 501 range.

I also heard the Audio Research DS450 with Magnepans at CES. While the sound was very relaxed and tube like, I didn't hear as much bass, as I would have liked. Perhaps it was the speakers or the recordings played?

I noticed both manufacturers avoided the term Class D or "Ice Module" like the plague. I think Class D has become a dirty word among some audiophiles...

Any other thoughts on how the sound of the Rowland 625 compares to Audio Research's DS450?

I would like to save up for one of them. The DS450 or even DS225 seem like they might be "better bang for the buck" (in relative terms). Appreciate your comments. Tks!
optimus
Optimus, in the Rowland room I heard relatively similar things as you did. I am quite familiar with the sound of M625, Corus, and Aeris DAC in favorable setups, and they sound like completely different devices from what I heard at RMAF this year. Part of the issue may have been the speakers that perhaps were not ideal for the electronics, but I suspect the largest problem may have been overdampening of the room.

Conversely, I truly enjoyed greatly the sound of the room where the new Audio Research switch mode DS450M monoblocks were featured.

G.
Guido, good to hear from you! For a while, I was worried that I was suffering from listening fatigue from the show, and hearing things. Yeah... setup seems to be super, super important. Even with the best gear, you can't always beat the room acoustics.

Vienna Acoustics Speakers, which I believe you may own, seem to have a pretty good synergy with Rowland. I think Rowland may have done a few demos with Vienna in the past.

I agree with you on the DS450M. They sounded extremely musical and dynamic. I honestly think we are reaching a point where amps (at a certain level/price point) may not necessarily sound better than the other. They simply sound different.

Just curious, what were your favorites from the RMAF show that really impressed you? (I'll probably try to start a different thread on this subject.)
Hi Optimus, I had 3 favorite rooms at RMAF 2011:

1. The Esoteric room.... K-01 sounds very promising.
2. The Audio Research room with DS450M.
3. The Esoteric room with REF 250M amps.

Guido
Guido,
I really like the Esoteric Dac's and CD players, albeit out of my budget. Is the K-01 or any of the other gear you liked at RMAF next on your review schedule?

All this is off topic -

What did you think about the M2 Tech Young 384/32 D/A Converter, which I believe was in the same room?

DACs in general seem to be better and better, and less different than each other with good source material.

I'm hoping they've refined the magic bullet of making bad recordings sound listenable...!
Tks.
Optimus, let's return this thread to "its previously scheduled programming".... and then continue to talk about DACs on the Reference DAC thread at:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1126769860&openmine&zzGuidocorona&4&5#Guidocorona

Where I am positive we will be able to raise some charming weather :)!

G.