Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Since the title of this discussion is "Preamp Deal of the Century" perhaps people not in posession of a Supretek should read the comments in another discussion about the H-Cat P-12. I don't own either, I just want to find the best for the money, but according to an ex-Supratek user the H-Cat is 'king of the hill'...for about the same amount. We are either on the verge of a revolution or its all smoke and mirrors - so far I don't know.
Its not a revolution, just capitalism operating as it should. Other manufacturers hate a guy like Mick because he doesn't play the game of making everyone think that we should actually thank the manufacturers for the astronomical prices. They've got a closed system where the magazines incestuously support the manufacturers' agenda and vice versa from the manufacturers through sweetheart deals to the mags. I am not saying its a star chamber conspiracy, but there is a strong, determinant and tacit one occuring where the dynamics of the market are highly distorted. This occurs because the freedom of information is controlled by those entities and people most interested in distorting it for their own gains (Does any of this sound familiar? Enron, etc?). The mags will never cover a guy like Mick because he's not going to plunk down 20K for a six month black-and-white advert contract. This unbridled ideal of infinite self-interest distorts, for the consumer, the balance between democracy (freedom of information) and capitalism (freedom of self-interest). Like many sub-systems within the greater economy, the dynamics of our little microcosm are distorted where individuals at the top of the hierarchy have gained sufficient control over the means of information dissemination to redistribute value from the serfs to the nobility.

Hey, didn't we fight this already two hundred years ago? I take that back, it is (could be still) a revolution.

What is the nature of the Matrix? Control.

If you still can't hear this, then just buy the pre.
Asa,
I have read many, many posts regarding the subject of your last post. I have not, however, ever read one as well written.
You don't happen to be the Asa that writes for Playboy do you?

Regards,
Patrick
Thanks, Patrick, just trying to stir the pot now and then, hoping someone is listening, or perhaps considers something different. I am not a writer for Playboy, which would be a great gig, but did do my graduate work on the evolution of nation-states. Since then, I've become interested in the evolution of consciousness in general - both human and not human - which doesn't have the biggest demographic in the world, if you know what I mean (even though its a subject that deals with the whole world, which is itself its own little paradox...).

We buy stereos to stop thinking after being in a world where we are required to think all day. Importantly, the type of thinking we are letting go of when we drift into the Music is a type that is good at accumulating objects (materialism), or in the most sociopathic instances, relegating people to objects. We want to rest our minds from its attachment to form and an environment where if don't adhere to an assumption of infinite greed you risk become the prey of the other. So we close our eyes (detaching the visual from the thinking mind that is disproportionately and evolutionarily dependant on this sense) and turn down the lights and put on the Music.

The Supratek helps you do this - letting go of thinking - while also being darn good at replicating the objective way that sound sounds. Its a break, like a wonderful sleep, from the imbalance between your waning freedom and others' attachment to control it (like an object...).

So guys, I know you don't want to hear my incesant ramblings-as-filler: What about those Pre's? Yea, nyet, ambivalent, hearing the Music?
Got a note the other day from Mick. He has been experimenting with different caps and believes Auricaps provide a nice improvement. He said he could ship it last Monday or if I could wait til this weekend, he will have received an OEM quantity of Auricaps and could ship it then. Mmmmmm...decisions...are you kidding me? Been waiting since the end of March-another week for improved caps is a no-brainer.
I think it's great that, as busy as he must be, Mick is still looking to improve on this pre. So take heart those that have ordered relatively recently, by the time he makes yours, he may have come up with additional improvements.
I just hope I haven't built my expectations too high. My current pre, an Adcom GTP 500 II that is at least 15 years old, is definitly my systems weakest link.

Regards,
Patrick