Coda VS Muse Model 3 Signature

Hello all, I've been in a hard search for about a month for one of a short list of solid state preamps.
Muse Model 3 or 3 Signature
Coda Contiuum Window 4
Classe 5 or CP 50
AR LS-9
Bryston BP-25
My Budget is $800.00.
Today, I came across the Muse 3 Signature for $1000.00
and a Coda Contiuum Window version 4 for $800.00. I don't know this Coda model. I've heard a fet 01 and it was very good. This Coda is their lower Continuum series, but seems to be very nice. Has anyone heard both to give me a fair comparison?
Thanks,
Tim
timlub
Ucanhear2, I ended up buying the Coda piece myself, but when looking, I found the model 3 averaging between $550 and $650, while the Signature 3 was averaging $800. to $1000... Just want to point that out, If you really like the Muse 3, with a bit of patience you will be able to sell it and pick up the better Signature piece much more affordably than mods. Good Listening, Tim
Timlub, Thanks for your great suggestion. I've been reading up on the Coda Continuum Window 4, and Coda preamps in general. Looks like the Coda would be an excellent choice within my price range. Wish I'd come across this company a bit sooner in my search. I may end up keeping the Muse standard for my smaller system, and as you mentioned, looking for the Model 3 Signature or a Coda for my main system. I'm curious...did you have a chance to directly compare a Model 3 with the Coda version 4? If so, can you describe your impressions?
Hi Ucanhear2,
No, I never made a direct comparison. I had asked the original question, because I was looking between Coda and Muse. I had found a Legacy preamp and knew that Coda built it. I called Coda and Doug told me that he had a Windows Continuum 4 case there and would load the Current CL prem circuit board in it... So it would be a mis match preamp. The back panel inputs do not match the front panel display.... He offered me a price that I felt silly to pass on along with a five year warranty. I have not heard the Muse in my system, but overall, I am quite happy with my Coda. I can't imagine getting this sound quality at this price in anything near new, much less with the warranty. Just for your info, Doug told me that there is a reasonable difference between the version 1 & 2, and a very large difference between 2 & 3, but between 3 & 4 and the Windows Continuum 4 and the CL, the differences are minimal. I still believe that you have an outstanding preamp coming. I would probably just enjoy it and look for the Signature piece to come around or if you find a Coda at the right price, its worth trying... By the way, my Coda took a month to completely burn in.
Good Listening, Tim
Timlub, I actually spoke with Doug today at Coda also. I had located an older Continuum Window (version not specified) and also a FET Line Control Buffer 04r, both needing replacement remotes. Doug said the early membrane switch type of remote for the Continuum Window is no longer available as a replacement. He said the FET 04r was made in small numbers, went through a couple of different remote versions, and had the stepped volume attenuator that makes audible clicks when transitioning between each level aka "zipper sound". I also learned that the single function replacement remote was only available for some of the 04r serial numbers. Doug said the volume control was updated in the FET 05r to the Burr-Brown with no transition noise, and that the remote was updated to the universal type for that model. He confirmed that the Innersound line stage preamp is the same as the Coda FET 05r. I imagine that the the CL you have and the FET 04r or 05r have similar circuitry, maybe just component level differences. The remote and volume control issues with the older units make me want to move up to the 05r/Innersound. There are a couple in the AudioGon listings now. I'll probably wait until I try out the Muse Model Three and compare it to my Marsh P2000. In the mean time I will keep looking for a deal on the newer Innersound/Coda units.
Hi Ucanhear2,
I imagine that the Muse will be very good. I'd give it a fair shot. I have only owned budget preamps in the past.
Kenwood LO7C, Kenwood Basic C1, Sumo Electra, Hafler, PS Audio 4.0, PS Audio 5.7, HK, Audio Refinement, Sumo Athena and now the Coda....(Plus a Arcam, Myriad and Audio Refinement integrateds) None that I have owned have been in the league of this, looking at the list, you wouldn't think so, but the differences are not marginal, this is a wonderful sounding preamp. The front and back panels don't match, but I feel blessed or quite lucky that Doug Dale took sympathy on me and gave me the hook up.
Good Listening, Tim