BAT VK-600 vs Pass XA100.5

Wondering how someone would contrast the qualities of these two amplifiers.
madfloyd
Hmm, I was hoping the LA300 would be even better in the bass than what I have, so that's disapointing.

I hate tradeoffs. :-)
Yet another thought, Rtn1: Did you switch the output impedence of the LA-300 so that it's at its lower setting? I think you should do this if you're using the Pass amps.
Hi Madfloyd, I've really hit paydirt with my current combination. I considered the VK150SE, but not so much the BAT SS. I was reluctant based upon room size to go with the BAT tube amp, although the Rex amp would be very interesting. I still think the Pass gives a more relaxed and flowing presentation compared to BAT VK150SE, but the BAT amp has great texture, detail, and dynamics.

I did check the Joule unit and made sure the jumper was on the lowest impedence setting. Whether the Joule 300 has better bass than the 150, I cannot say. Two minor confounders between the BAT and Joule, is the difference between RCA vs. XLR, and I am using Cardas RCA vs. Jade Audio XLR. I do not think this would account for the difference I hear.

I thought I would be able to extrapolate the experience of the 300 to the 450. The Joule has a slightly more natural and organic midrange. As of tonight, I think the difference in lower frequency response on the Joule would preclude my long-term enjoyment, based upon the type of music I prefer. It just does not seem to hold-up as well with orchestral pieces. I will be listening to the Joule over the next week to see how things wear, but I do not think I can buy the 450 without a home demo. I will probably work with the Rex, and try a combination of different tubes to get a balanced sound. It will also be interesting to put the BAT back into the system after adjusting to a different preamp for a while. One good thing about both these preamps is that they are dead quiet, an absolutely essential quality for my listening.

Most pieces of equipment are about trade-offs. I've found many with no perceived trade-offs to my ears, but tube preamps definitely have different flavors.
After having the Joule LA300 in the system for several weeks, I am very happy to have the BAT Rex back.

The Joule overall is smooth and warm, and has a pleasant midrange that immediately stands out. It made pop, rock, and jazz sound very nice, even with less than the best recordings or even subpar performers. For classical solo and small ensembles, it had a very good and inviting sound.

The BAT makes brass bite, massed strings shimmer, woods vibrate, and violins sparkle. It excels at texture, detail, lower end defintion, and dynamics. It provides some excitement, and a live feeling. Large orchestral pieces are well delineated and powerful. You can dial-in the excitement and dynamics by adding NOS 6H30 tubes. I find using all 8 NOS 6H30 tubes to be a bit over-the-top for my taste. Right now, I have a pair of NOS tubes, and the other 3 pairs are new Sovtek, and it seems to provide a very good balance.

Perhaps the BAT is simply synergistic with the Pass XA.5. The Joule LA450 seems very interesting, but without a home demo, I am unlikely to take the plunge. Right now, I am very satisfied with what I hear.