Mcintosh MC275 versus MC501 ?

I have an MC275 and love it, but would like tighter bass. By moving to MC501's, will there be any loss in the fine detail the MC275 has?
thanks,
Ted.
lovepianos
one foot long, each side short as possible
Ordinarily, a short(er) cable (anything under 5 feet is sufficient) will help preserve the limited damping capability of a tube amp. However with (especially) a braided cable, like the Kimber, a very short length may work against you because of the low frequency oscillations (some people call them 'reflections') that can form in a cable that has high inductance and capacitance like the braided Kimber. (This is common in undersized power cords also.) I would suggest you try a cable of 4-5 feet in length and preferably solid core (or very few strands.) If you want to do an inexpensive experiment, go to Home Depot or Ace etc., and get four 5 foot lengths of insulated copper house wiring, 10 AWG, and see if that doesn't improve your bass performance.

The (current model) MC275 develops 90w/ch and should have no trouble driving an 802 with its 90dB sensitivity (unless you have a large room and/or listen loud -- in which case you might want two MC275's in mono ;--) But it's important to note, that B&W specifies using very low resistance speaker cable with their speakers (probably for compatibility with their crossover insertion impedance), and that requirement translates into "fat copper conductor" which does not describe a braided cable (nothing against Kimber) but I know many people who love the sound of tubes with their B&W's, and they all use cables with lots of metal and very low resistance/foot specifications. Try it, it'll cost you maybe $10 ;--)