Why monoblocks?

Why run monoblocks? Most amps can handle most speakers, especially those that are 88DB and above in sensitivity. I see pictures of all these speakers being driven in monblock configuration. If the stereo amp can do the job, why spend money on two amps? I mean, what are the benefits?
128x128kclone
Onhwy61
"But if mono designs are really that much better then why aren't all ultra high end electronics monobloc designs? Where are the monobloc phono preamps, D/A converters or preamps?"

This is your quote exactly. And exactly why I said DUAL mono is all over the place, yes they are identical in design to MONO block, but sharing one chassis. So to your point, its in fact the way "Ultra high end" does work.

Now if we are going to debate over A) mono topology, or B) whether the 2 channels can be placed across the room from each other and not in one spot are two different points.

Honestly it does not make much of a difference as I clearly stated as long as they have their own discrete power supplies etc... Per channel.

Only Real advantages are physical beyond that, not topology, as stated different cable configurations, and possibly heat retention for specifically class A components, which most pure class A designs in large monos do in fact for the most part use 2 chassis.

But further there is no reason to do always more than one chassis for a preamp or dac, they don't get that hot, and they don't take up nearly as much room for circuits or transformers as an Amplifier, however they are still mono designs so to speak, but not mono "Blocks" which I guess is the word your hung up on. But again as you stated why would ULTRA high end not do it, almost guaranteed they do at their top levels.

Which by the way I am not defending "Mono Blocks" are the end all be all... It will completely be based on the systems needs, well speakers for the most part, of course a 50,000 dollar stereo amp, yep they exist can in fact be perfectly fine on most everything, accept possibly that real crazy load speaker and somebody needs bigger and heavier which in one chassis is not as marketable.

Again it was mainly based on your first post which was not clear you were looking at the topology MONO and not realizing that does not mean it has to be in two units, so I just clarified it. You said nothing about Dual mono either, I just pointed it out. Which it looks like in your system you have a Rowland amp that acutally is a dual mono, but a step further in 2 chassis separating just the power supplies? Thats even a rarer approach!
Very often the motivation for *buying* monoblocks is that there is no choice if one wants a certain amplifier or manufacturer. There are many great stereo amps that cannot be had as monos and vice-versa.

In very high-power and/or class-A designs, practicality in terms of size & weight is indeed the driver. Imagine a 600W Pass stereo amp, or a parallel-845 SE stereo amp (wait - there really is one of those).

Some of the best amplifiers I've had in terms of stage, imaging, and channel separation have indeed been stereo amps, and not always dual-mono either! (True dual mono, with two power trannies, is extremely rare.)

For people that swap gear a lot (not me - but I know some of them) - going back and forth between stereo & mono amps can be a real pain because of the different speaker cables and rack requirements.

The smartest approach if absolute performance with yet with some salute to economy is desired may be a stereo amp with the HV supply in its own chassis - think ASR.
I agree with Audiofeil's last note completely. Like I said before, monoblocks can be great or mediocre, stereo can be equally great or mediocre, sound quaility is simply not the reason for choosing one format over the other, though there are plenty of ergonomic reasons for doing so - one can't make a blanket statement about whether one should choose one approach or the other for best sound IMHO -- you can find great sound either way.
Post removed 
This thread is great! I actually owned a stereo amp, Audio Research Classic 60. I turned around and traded it in for a pair of the Audio Research Classic 120's monoblocks. What surprised me was not only was there more power, the amps were aesthetically easier to place in the room. But for the first time I was able to finally hear 3D imaging with the ability to hear some of the instuments "float in space" depending on the recording.Same room, same equipment just different amps. I do plan on returning to a pair of monoblocks again to complete my system. Just need to sell my stereo amp again!