Rowland model 5 vs Threshold S500 series II

Hello All,

Looking at both amplifiers , any input as to which is preferred and why . Speakers are 2 ohm ribbons ..

Regards,

Wayne
weseixas
Not sure where you get the idea that Mr Rowland doesn't like to work on his old stuff, that is definitely not my experience. I called ahead and was in the same day to have my model 3 amps and Consonance pre checked out. He spent over an hour-and-a-half checking them out while I watched. A very nice and helpful gentleman!
I've known Jeff Rowland for 30 years and I've owned many pieces of his gear, new and old. Seldom have I ever needed repair but the service I received was quick and free of hesitation or excuses. Jeff stands behind everything he ever made.
You may have reasons to buy something other than Rowland as I have from time to time over the years but do not let concerns over factory support dissuade you. It is among the best. This is one of the reasons why Rowland gear has the highest resale value on the market.
Gents, I am not aware that David was trying to disparage Mr. Rowland in any shape or form. Reality is that when a small company with finite resources is in furious development of 4 new major offerings, the updating of an older discontinued product may take longer to get on the surgery table.
Hello Guys ,

Lost track of this and would now like to update .

I went ahead and purchased the Thresholds over the Model 5.
An S500 series 2.

I did have to uprate the speaker fuses to 10 amps and they drive my speakers pretty well ( 1.5 Zmin) of course i have to be careful and do keep the amp temp in check , so far no issues with reliability.

The sound is fantastic , very , very good top and middle , good soundstage and imaging , Ok in the bass, a bit polite overall but does have decent attack. I have heard enuff from the amplifier to think about mods to the PSU and will eventually do so. thinking of a second to Bi-amp ..

Regards,