Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny
HI Jabas, care to share about what others you've tried?
Don't be such a tease!
how old is your lux 550a II?

Thanks
Chas
Wow! This thread sure morphed!
Well I bought the sucker, and he's in my house hooked up to my Vandersteen 2ce sigs. It's all I had hoped for! Better resolution (than my Rotel receiver)without being harsh. More punch. "Fast" is the adjective that keeps coming to mind. And it has lots of power--clearly way more than 100W per side. The phono stage is exellent. I'm hearing things anew from old records. But none of the detail and attack comes at a sacrifice of musicality. Great texture to the strings (very much like the LFD I heard once). It really makes my Vandersteens jump and groove! The only negatives are 1) the transformer was smaller and lesser build quality than I expected. I've already upgraded to a Kasimura TI-19. 2) No English translation of the owner's manual. Audiocubes won't supply one, and Luxman won't supply one becuse Audiocubes isn't an authorized Luxman dealer. If anybody out there can help me with this I'd really appreciate it. I'd even pay someone who has one for their time to copy it and send it to me!
Anyway, thanks for all your responses. I recommend this purchase and the seller if you're considering a Luxman.

Danny
Rosedanny - I am happy for you. I told you it's one of the best amps out there! Did audiocubes send you the 1000W Nissyo transformer? Kasimura TI-19 is also a very good transformer. Both are made in Japan. Enjoy your new machine!
They sent me the Nissyo NDF-550 transformer. It's not what you descibed in your email (size of a bag of sugar), more like a box of tea (3X4X3.5) but heavier. And build quality of transformer does not match Luxman L505u. The fixed cord from the transformer is thin like the one from my toaster!! So . . . I look forward to doing it right with a higher quality tansformer. Too bad because I was under the impression I'd get one with a higher capacity. They did offer a slight discount ($40) on the Kashimura, which I appreciate. Any clues as to where I can find an English owner's manual?
Rosedanny - The 500W and 1000W transformers each have a thin cord. It has nothing to do with the performance, however. Your Luxman is 210W - so it is double, and is therefore more than adaquate. I have the 1000W. A gentleman who bought Luxman 509U new from Japan for $5,000 used a heavy-duty US-made transformer. He was getting a 'hum' because the cords cannot have a third prong/ground-pin. He replaced it with a 1500W Japanese transformer - and there was no longer any 'hum' - dead silent. There are three brands you can use: (1) Nissyo, (2) Kashimura, and, (3) Sanyo. You could have saved more money if you wanted a heavy-duty transformer by ordering one from 'Joynetmall.com'. But you have to pay for the transformer. $2,280 for the Luxman L505U (using pay-pal), and $160 for a Nissyo 1500W transformer (plus shipping costs). That is why I told you to call me. I believe I was the first to order the Luxman L505U from Japan in this manner. I ordered it 20 months ago. None of the Japanese on-line stores will give you the 1500W for free. On the matter concerning the translation of the owner's manual into English, let me look into that.