Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny
Luxman are my new favorite electronics. Reintroduced for import three years ago, the build quality is equal to their best offerings from the 1970s and 1980s. I love the entire line from the last three years and I like that they are ultimately about musicality rather than specifications. They just sound great.

The phono stage is one of the best I have heard. Ultra quiet.

Their CD and music servers mate well with their components. Very neutral and bring out rich textures out of ordinary CDs.

This will be a system you will cherish.

Rotel is a well engineered product but made of Chinese parts. I suspect it will not hold up to time. I have seen this with NAD and Cambridge Audio.

The only other electronics I have heard that match Luxman are LFD from the UK and McIntosh from here in the US for sonics and build quality at this price point.
Hi...the Luxman L50U 100 volt Japan model is the BEST integrated amp in its price range in my opinion. I bought one from Audiocubes 2 and they will supply you with Nissyo 500 watt or 1000 watt voltage transformer. You cannot use any U.S. made transformer. There's a myth out there that using a transformer will degrade sound quality - this is false in my opinion. I equate the use of this transformer as if you're actually in Japan. The sound of this Luxman cannot be beaten by either McIntosh or Accuphase.I can attest to this because I've sampled both of them. Personally, I believe these are the three top amps in the world. I bought Luxman R1120 in 1980. After 29 years, it's still works like new - NO LIE! I use the Luxman with two pairs of speakers for exceptional sound quality; nothing beats this compared to having only one pair of speakers. For tuner, Rotel RT 1084 AM/FM HD tuner is an excellent combination. The Luxman is hand-made in Japan-similar to Accuphase. The voltage cannot be changed here to 120 because the transformers are hand-made by two technicians in their Japan factory. It took 2 weeks to get the order from Japan. Thank you and GOOD LUCK!
Thanks guys!!

Jaybo. Could you elaborate on this? Why, specifically, chould I give this more thought?
Why not?

Food for thought:

100 volt gray import from Japan.
One year warranty exercised in Japan.(As opposed to 3 year US warranty.)
Customer pays shipping back & forth to Japan.
Units needs to be serviced in Japan.
Units need a step up transformer to work in US.
Very difficult to re-sell in North America.

Other than that, it's a great deal.

Dealer disclaimer