Describe the ideal high end audio dealership

Please describe, in detail ,your personal opinion as to what the ideal high end audio dealership would be. Sales/demo policies, store atmosphere/layout, trade ins/ trade ups, ect. What products interest you the most?

Are you more drawn to brand new designs? The Presence of large statement pieces on display? The reassuring presence of well established and familiar lines? What about newer lines that appear promising?

What characteristics would your ideal hi end audio dealership possess? What bothers you most?

Do you prefer the traditional brick and mortar storefront or a more personal approach offered by the home based dealership/appointment structured store?

Describe what you feel, in your personal opinion, are the greatest positive attributes of your favorite dealerships.

This thread is intended for the hobbyist consumers, not dealers or manufacturers.
chris74
I can only speak for online dealers, since there is no local entity where I live. Idealy, for myself, I would like to know that the amount of money spent is NOT directly proportional to the time the dealer chooses to allocate to me. Big no no in my book. Also, because it is known that the dealer makes a pretty hefty commission from the sale, if there were any future problems with the device (especially if new) that the dealer would take every step to correct the problem. Simple ideologies...but very obvious when not followed. Those are the two big issues for me.
1. Normal business hours and non of this "by appointment only crap". (I once had a store tell me to make an appointment just to buy some used gear)
2. Floor samples for the whole product line. If you sell "Brand X", then have all the products,not just the entry level trinket that is a total joke and is just like "Brand Y's" and "Brand Z's" entry level trinket. I like to see the flag ship models on display and hear them too.
3. Hire people that really know and care about audio. Don't just hire people that are inbetween jobs and waiting for the results of their civil service exam.
4. A great selection of real world music. not just some stereophile test disks. Spare me on the Audiophile recordings with music theorists where noone can really sing or play and they sound like a lame cat being run over.
5. Allow in-home demos (try before you buy). Just leave your CC number and take home something for a few days.
6. Deal in quality used gear too and allow trade-ins for Blue Book prices.
7. I don't care about too many frills like free coffee or donuts - just have the product.
8. Don't use commercial/pro products that the typical consumer is not allowed to buy.
6550C has stated a lot of good points.

Other items that for me would make for a great audio store would be:

i) A nice selection of electronics with both solid state and tube equipment being offered. I want to know what is the best of both worlds, so I can make an informed decision, as to which type of equipment suits my tastes best.

ii) Several turntables, both entry level and high end, from several manufacturers, as well as tone arms and cartridges. These should be setup and ready to play.

iii) A nice selection of software, (particularly LPs), so that I can come to the store to both look at the equipment, as well shop for my music. (To me, this is a must for a "great" stereo store. I love to go record shopping, so I will always stop by to do that, and if I can then check out the latest and greatest gear that is on display, so much the better.) There are only a couple of stores that I know of that do this, with The Analog Room, in San Jose, being the premier example. (Now if only they would cut down on the cigar smoking, it would be a near perfect store.)

iv) At least two, or preferably three, large listening rooms, that are not packed to the gills with equipment.

v) No home theater equipment, (including TV's, DVD players, etc.) I'm there for music, not videos.

My two cents worth anyway.
It isn’t going to happen… the perfect dealership, that is. Even close to perfect won’t be a reality.

Whatever the business model, or equipment array, all I would ask of any dealership is to be professional and not erudite or arrogant. To not be condescending or pushy. In short to have a level relationship with prospective customers rather than the Holier than thou which seems the typical model.

Dealers should be flexible and competitive with pricing. A trade in or up program in a set time frame would also be advantageous. Providing means for financing couldn’t hurt either, if the resource (s) aren’t laughable with their terms.

If by appointment sessions are the norm there, allow the customer to preview their own software, not something totally unfamiliar to them… and within reason, at their own pace.

Some time frame for demos in home should also be addressed, and if a non sale results than some modest fee should be incurred. Such fee (s) determined on an as per basis to the nature of the demo & components being previewed and that total time frame. A weekend? A Week? A pair of full range speakers, or a pair of ICs?

All pieces should be run in prior to any in home demo too, or for in house uses as well. It serves no purpose to hear, “this is a great item, but just came out of the box so it isn’t up to snuff just yet…. Whadaya think?”.

To ignore wholly the world wide web is ridiculous these days…. And likely what prevents BM stores from continuing or sprouting up… but it is indeed a fact and has been for some years. To claim said dealership is worth the prospect of paying an additional 30-50% more for same same items, is sheer fantasy. 20-25% Perhaps. 30% maybe. 40-50% more? Well… one can always ask I suppose.

I really don’t see any audio BM store these days being solely high end audio. There has to be more diversification. Lower levels of merchandise. Accessories. Installations. Offers of setup and pro tweaking of higher end items in homes. Software sales. Inventories themselves seem likely killers to store fronts now.

Regardless the prospect, in home or in store, if only people are treated as people, and not morons or cattle, I’d sure attempt to do business there. But that snobby, arrogant, pushy ‘our stuff is the best out there and everything else sucks’ or ‘you haven’t a clue, let me tell you …. Attitudes must go. Only simple ‘sheep’ can be so influenced or intimidated… and then they’ll become remorseful later on most likely and seek to return the item..

Good luck finding one of those… and if you have… do continue to support it.
1. I prefer a brick and motar audio hi-end dealer to big audio chains, even though they may have limited inventory on display. 2. Attitude : (A )I would never tolerate the snobby attitude of the owner/salesman who would implicitly or explicitly put down other brandnames carried by their competition. (B ) I would prefer fact finding question type to know my need(s) than sale pitch. (C) I would not tolerate to be closed on the deal with high pressure tactics. (D) I would not need to be voluntarily disclosed the price of the products unless being asked. When I am ready to make a deal then it is a proper time for me to ask for the pricing disclose 3. Most audiophile guy knows what they are looking for in term of sound preference and quality of the products so save me the mumbo/jumbo specification disclose, I am into the sound quality not the data literature print-out. 4. I prefer to be alone in the demo room with the door closed since I always bring my own CDs and if the products do not sound any better than my current system, then why spinning my own wheels and wasting my time and the owner/salesman time. I do not like to be interrupt while I critically have my audition. 5. Service after the sale is crucial. Do I have to call the manufactures for servicing or would the owner/salesman will happily take care of my issues? Just to name a few of the factors that would make or break a deal and again, it is my own experience and my requirement before I spend my hard earning disposable income.