Tired of Problems with Tube Equipment

I switched over to tube audio equipment in some form some years back, and have certainly enjoyed music played back through them. I have had amps, preamps, and DACS at different times utilizing tubes. One unfortunate thing that's been common to all the tube equipment I've had are problems. It doesn't seem to matter whether the manufacturer is large or small, built in the USA or overseas, they all have had problems. Capacitors blowing out, bad solder joints, tubes only lasting a short time, loud pops that mysteriously go away on their own, etc. Although I have enjoyed the sound (and that beautiful glow!), I am starting to get tired of this and thinking of going back to solid state.

Have any of you also gone back (or thought about it) to solid state for this reason? What has your experience been with the reliability of tube equipment?
smeyers
Wow; great responses! This may be somewhat off-topic from my original post (I AM allowed to hijack my own thread, eh?), but I'm wondering how close I can get with a good solid-state amp vs my class A SET tube amp I have now. I know there's been quite a few threads about this, but in my setup I use a Tact 2.2XP (room correction, EQ) which feeds a Lector 224 tube DAC, which then feeds the amps. So it's not a straight tube vs SS amp question, as I use the 2.2XP to EQ the signal (which can approximate some tube amps added midrange bump), and use tubes in the DAC.
Then DIY is for you!

You can build amps from proven designs with better parts and built than many commercial models at a percentage of what you might pay for a commercial one. Besides, when something happens to your amp, you will have at least a general idea why and how to troubleshoot it. So, try to learn as much and as fast as you can especially the elctronics side of amplifiers, then you are ready. Do not be afraid to try. Start small with kits but aim big every step of the way. Same thing applies for SS amps.

Where do you think most of the designer of the Audiophile amps started before they went commercial? Who knows, maybe in a couple of years, you might have your own offering to the commercial world too. "Smeyers Research Inc.", "Meyers Design Labs", "SM Audio", or "Myers Electric" sounds impressive no?

regards,

Abe

PS. I am speaking from my personal experience. The last "commercially built/assembled" gear I bought was a preamp about 4 years ago and counting.
How 'bout SnM R Us? Ha, just kidding! DIY sound great assuming one has time for a new hobby! I used to 'invent' electronic gizmos as a kid, even built a few speakers, but just don't have that kind of time at the moment...
Post removed