"Breathing" of the air

Hi folks, I would like to ask you the following. With some audiophile set ups I'm able to hear what I call "breathing" of the air, as if the air surrounding voices and instruments is a living entity, as if one is capable of hearing individual air molecules, if you know what I mean. Are you familiar with this phenomenon? Is this quality inherent to some amplifiers or speakers? Can you mention set ups that have these characteristics?

Chris
dazzdax
The more air the better....resolving and transparency ability dictate the anount of air present. There is air around and between instruments and then the movement of air through instuments and vocalists. So I think the amount of air signals more tonal quality...Every part of a sound system effects what is heard...so high quality well matched systems will excell.
SET amps, very coherent speakers that image well. Other amp designs can do it as well, I just think its more inherent to the SET sound. Clean AC is an absolute necessity as well.
Air is around 7 to 12 Khz - if you have a system that boost this then you get more "air" - alternatively if you have a speaker with a recessed midrange or "midrange scoop" then you get more air and more bass (boom boom tizz).

IMD distortion, digital hash (jitter) and metal drivers that ring can destroy air by giving it a heavy "etched" sound that is not properly related to the musical context.
'Air' is one of those things that, IMO, all audiophiles think that they are talking the same meaning, when I think you will find that there are several predominate meanings.

For me, 'air' is the ability of speed in a system, in a way that allows for good high frequency detail without harshness. This allows for the reproduction of subtle high frequency cues , part of the harmonic structure of the instrument(s), but also the higher frequency ambient cues that are part of the instrument(s) location and reverberant field in the soundstage.

Systems or equipment that lack this ability can sound either dark or bright; 'air' is not a function of simple tonality. Generally though if the system is bright, it will seem so while at the same time not seeming to have much extention on top.

I would not take my comments as the last word on this subject and I'm interested to see others opinions on the matter.
Chris,

Great topic. I have wondered about the subject myself. A lot.

My all Zanden system for one. Driving my Dunlvay Vs is almost perfect match. Almost always from top to bottom I can hear 'Air' around instruments and voices. Just like you would if you were to listen, carefully, to live sounds. You can't 'pin' this to one equipment. Although Amps certainly is big factor. Prior to My Zanden 9600 amps, I was using MBL 9008As monos and there was air but not the right amount and or not from top to bottom. Now I think I have the perfect combination. Eerily life like. More so with Zanden digital source than my analog set ups. No etched sound at all. (I almost wish at times to get some etchiness;-))

It is interesting that Shadorne mentions Air around 7 to 12khz. Waht about the Air content below 7 khz. There certainly is lot of air moved at low freqs- low, mid and high bass and even lower to mid mids. To generate sound you have to have air at all freqs- air content varying depending on freqs. Just last night I was listening to this huge drum (avearge human size Taiko drum!) sound from Japanese artist 'KODO' . The sound was just mesmerizing. Air seemed to emnate at the drum and and propel surprisingly quickly at the listening positions with vibrations felt all over without boominess. Gotta be lot of air movement. I was going to start a new thread on this subject to clear the air (;-)) regarding : what is the freq of this associated air from top to bottom freq sounds. Characteristics, harmonics, etc. May be some one can throw more light on this...