Best Solid State for Avalon Isis

I would appreciate informed comments regarding best solid-state synergy with Avalon Isis. I’m looking for an amp that will maintain absolute control of deep bass, while maintaining a rich and dynamic mid-range, and clarity without sacrificing musicality. It should be transparent, and allow a vast and layered soundstage to appear. Although the Isis appear relatively efficient (90db at 4ohm), the paired 13” woofers are going to need an amp with muscle.

Source is a Wadia 9 series. It runs direct. It does not need a pre-amp.

I listen to big, loud, congested orchestral music (ie. Mahler, Bruckner, Wagner). I like to hear all the detail, including the musician's technique and subtle alterations in tempo. Orchestral sections need to have mass. I want to feel the bass at low in addition to high volumes.

My room is 20 x 30 ft, and has plaster walls/ceiling with wood floors and padded area rugs. Tubes are not an option. Because of the room and source, I am not looking for an amp that is artificially fast or tipped toward the higher frequencies.

A company which is solvent, established, reliable, and with good customer support is important, with preference for an American manufacturer. I plan on trying to home demo some of these, but need advice on where to concentrate and expend my efforts.

These are some I'm considering, and additional suggestions are welcome:
Pass Labs XA200.5
Boulder 1050 Monoblocks
Halcro DM78
Spectral DMA 360
Edge NL Sig One
Hovland Stratos

Thank you,
Rob
rtn1
Thanks Vicdamone. Do you have the Eidolon Diamond? I have never had a tube amp big enough for the ED, but they seem to like valves. For the Isis they are not a real possibility, since we would be speaking about mono amplification and that is less practical. An then there is the heating factor.

Cheers

C.
No Diamonds, the earlier version. Since I've owned the Eidolons almost every change to the system seems magnified compared to the lesser speakers I was monkeying around with when I was looking for my direction.

Starting with a 35 then a 75 watt stereo tube amps then came the Eidolons which necessitated two solid state, and three switching amplifiers, every one had an obvious difference in presentation. All the while I was missing the relaxed sense of a tube amplifier which would explain my excitement for these Carver's.

Unfortunately, despite my years at this hobby I don't consider myself experienced enough to accurately or successfully describe the differences of equipment I've actually had in my own system. IMO compared to the other big tube mono's I auditioned (from memory) the Carver's handle the Eidolons bass output much better. I can't say that means they are distorting less but it certainly sounds like it.

For the Isis? The Carver's are mono's and the heat is far less than the 75 watt stereo amp I was temporarily using just prior to receiving the Carver's. A bit warmer that a warm running A/B solid state but less than a class A solid state. Geez, I should just get out a thermometer.

Another tube amp I was considering was the Music Reference RM200 which I believe can be had in a 200 watt mono block, a little out of my budget. The RM200 has the ability to power difficult speaker loads and their distortion figures are outstanding. This might be of some interest. A reply regarding using tube amplification from Avalon Acoustics in 2009.

["Thanks for the mail, and glad you like the Eidolons. I still think they are amazing, and expect to continue to sell their current iteration.
My first experience with tubes and Eidolons was with Audio Research 100's. Clearly not enough power to have the full bloom of the capability of the Eidolons, but, there was still enough info to let me know that with a bit more power there would be some very nice results. Indeed, I later heard them with both the AR 300, and later the 600. These are both super amps, and priced accordingly, but in the interest of letting you know that it will work, I give you those examples. On the other extreme, if you can find a small tube amp, called the RM9, RM10, or RM200. These little tube amps are quite extraordinary. Probably on the
low end of power requirements, and admittedly I have not heard them with Eidolons, but many years ago I lusted for the RM9 for myself. The company is very small, but passionate, and is still in existence, and I believe in California. Also, a bit more mainstream, is VTL, also a California based company, with a variety of 'affordable' mono and stereo tube gear. We shared a room with them at the recent Audiofest show in Denver in early October. Always a good match, and we share a number of dealers and distributors around the world. David Berning also makes a few very good amplifiers. We used their amps at CES a lifetime ago, and never forgot that sound, and now people have started to tell us how good the combination still is.
Lucien Pichette
On Nov 24, 2009'}

The Isis do benefit from good power, and lots of it. While amps like Soulution, Vitus, Dartzeel, FM Acoustic may have their merits, I think 100-200 watts is too little. I would look for something with a lot of class A, at least 300 watts into 4 ohms. Amp matching with the Isis is so crucial. Nothing else will come together until you get that part correct. The overall efficiency does not belie how much power it takes to get those woofers moving like they should.
Of course, I see where you're coming from. Still, if you ever get a chance to audition any big tube mono's I strongly suggest the experience would be well worth the effort.

I did see this post here a few weeks ago from a dartZeal owner which may be of interest.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1342041838&&&/Jeff-Rowland-tour-fascinates-

Regarding many of the Avalon products, I have read that they're somewhat easier to drive than their specifications would suggest. I hope you post your experiences, I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions and where this path take you.

Take care and happy shopping.
Many thanks, Rtn. My concern is the ability of the Soulution to control the woofers, but I may have to take the risk.
I see that you started with the big Karans, which are extremely powerful (1000 watts?) and then "downsized" to the Pass 200. Did you notice a big difference resulting from the less power of the Pass?
Again, thank you very much for your input and congratulations on your great system.
Audio