Compare: Modwright LS 36.5 & Audio Research LS26

I'd appreciate opinions from anyone who has experience with these line stages. OK any comparisons including the Modwright and Ref 3 are also welcome.

Amps: Audio Research VM220 Mono Blocs (the Mono version of the VS110)
Wison Audio Sophias. Music: Classic Rock, Singer Songwriter, Classical, Small ensemble chamber, LOTS of vocals.

Recreation of stage & space, tube glow and midrange warmth and vocal realism, and rhythmic integrity top priorities. 80% vinyl, 20% digital.

Thanks for your assistance.
Jim

jdolgin
We chose output transformers to create the balanced outputs (and serve the SE (RCA) outputs also), for the following reasons:

1) OPT (Output Transformers) allow us to provide a MUCH lower output impedance (100ohm), over the standard 600ohm output impedance of our SE circuit. Compare this to 1K + for most preamps. This allows for MUCH better integration with amplifiers of ANY kind, even those with 10K input impedance or lower.

2) Obviously the output transformers enable us to have differential outputs and phase switching. The same would be true had we used fully differential circuitry. The transformer provide other benefits.

3) Rather than attenuate the gain at the input of the circuit and limit bandwidth, we are able to operate the circuit at full gain and attenuate output signal via the OPT's. In this case, we chose 4:1 stepdown configuration, custom-wound for us by Electraprint Audio. In addition to attenuating signal at the output, noise is also attenuated noise by the same factor. This makes a quiet circuit even 4 times quieter.

An important clarification here. The OPT's in this circuit do not see DC voltage. The SE circuit is capacitor-coupled, hence the OPT's see purely AC signal, thus not suffering from typical bandwidth limitations inherent in many SET amplifier designs. An SET amp's OPT's block DC, thus causing typical bandwidth limitations, between 20Hz and 20Khz. The OPT's we use are flat to 60Khz and do not limit bass response to 20Hz.

So, what are the drawbacks?:

1) Lower noise floor.
2) Lower output impedance.
3) Appropriate gain levels.
4) BW from 20Hz - 60Khz.

Sorry, those aren't really drawbacks.... I don't feel there are drawbacks to this approach. Given the cost of good OPT's, it is hardly a cost-savings. I am sure that people have opinions about the use of transformers in the signal path. Bandwidth limiation is not an issue here, as it can be with SET amps. Also consider the fact that many consider transformer-based volume controls to be superior to any other form of attenuation. I would have liked to use them in the 36.5, but the impact on unit cost would have been prohibitive.

I am not trying to be sarcastic about the negative effects of transformer coupling. I simply don't see any in this design and the benefits are significant.

Our amplifier design (KWA 150) is actually transformer INPUT coupled AND fully differential. I.e. we use both a transformer and fully balanced circuitry. The reasons for this go beyond the depth of this discussion, but if I felt that transformers limited sonics, we certainly would not have used them in our amp design. One additional benefit of this approach to our amp design, is that both RCA and XLR inputs are treated as fully balanced internally, rather than forcing the amp to operate in SE mode due to RCA inputs.

I hope that this helps explain the reasons for our choice of balanced topography in the LS 36.5.

AS this thread pertains to the Red Wine design, I have not heard it and cannot comment on how our two designs compare. They are obviously very different designs. It sounds like Vinnie has done a great job and it has been well received.

Sincerely,

Dan W.
Thanks, Dan. Regarding item #3 above, why would it limit the bandwidth if you do attention at the input?
Dan,

Thanks for your explanation. I appreciate your response. I also want to share how your phono stage has increased my musical enjoyment. A masterful design.
Jim
Jax2, Thanx as I was reading along and was wondering how the Shill Plug for RWA came into play in this discussion? Good detective work on your part, and for out'g Jwarmbrand, as it was just Too Funny seeing all 14 of his tread posts being nothing but Shills! LOL
...Good detective work on your part,...

I honestly was not intending to be Columbo or anything like that. If I don't know where someone is coming from when they make claims or recommendations here I routinely take a quick peak at things they've said in the past to get some sense of where they're coming from, what their preferences are, what kind of music they listen to, etc. There are so many different varieties and flavors of preferences here and I do believe (contrary to some) that all of this stuff is entirely subjective. There is no 'right' answer, or 'best' component/system. The only thing most of us know about each other are these words on a screen. I'm not convinced as to whether or not Jwarmbrand is a shill or not, but he certainly could be Vinnie's poster boy. Whether he is or not really doesn't matter one wit to me. Based on his record of posts here I'm left with no idea where he's coming from, nor what his experience is beyond the glory of RWA and various word of mouth testimonies from so many friends who also happen to prefer RWA over the various components they've compared it to. To me this just strikes as rhetoric and I am left with no sense of who this poster is or where he's coming from (shill or not). If he does have no interest, beyond saving all of us from the mediocrity of products not conceived and built by RWA, I guess my suggestion would be that he share more of himself and his experience than does the myopic posts he's thus far made here. In doing so he might paint a clearer picture of where he's coming from and give others a sense of perspective. Some may take him more seriously with that to go on. As it is he just occurs to me, at best, like a skipping record. Just my opinion...