Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Post removed 
Shadorne,

You are on the right track. The reason you can’t see it with a THD analyzer is because it is way too subtle to show up. If somehow you alter the gain/velocity by a factor of 2:1 double the velocity! Then your 1khz signal will shift up to 2khz. A full octave away! That is represented by the spike you see on a spectrum analyzer at the 2khz mark. The length of time it spends at this accelerated velocity will determine the size of the spike.

Now imagine a much smaller shift in velocity like 1:1.005
This will cause a 1khz tone to shift up to 1005 hz At this level it is a mere twinkle in the eye of “harmonic distortion” but is distortion nonetheless. In fact the worse case example (2:1 above) actually had to pass through 1005 hz to get to 2 khz. This is because it is analog and continuous and therefore cannot be in 2 places at once. (Translation) Energy measured at 2khz is missing from the fundamental frequency (1khz) for the length of time it has been shifted. The same is true for the shifted 1005 hz energy.

Roger
Tvad,

How can you criticize someone for taking the fight against distortion to the next level?
I am merely taking the known accepted principles of the modern THD analyzer down a few notches more in terms of detection. Its not my fault that the analyzers are not sensitive enough to show you what is going on. The only reason it is a theory is because I have been forced to work around the inadequacies of the present day analyzer.

I’m sure at least half the people reading this thread know exactly what I’m talking about. Remember the arguments about how SS equipment should sound better than tubes because of the holy THD measurements where so much lower? You tube guys know that that was BS. Why? Because there was something being missed by the analyzers that was “unseen” and did not jive with the tube amp measurements which were typically higher.

I'm not talking about odd/even harmonics either. THD analyzers could not hear transparency, inner detail, staging etc.

You cannot use the simple logic that if you can’t measure it – it isn’t there.
Your own textbooks can verify my explanation of Doppler distortion if you simply apply what I am saying at a small scale to a higher scale so it fits into your world of measurements.

What is it about an amplifier that makes it produce harmonic distortion?

Anyone?
Roger, 1/100th of a db? Really? So if the change in pitch cannot be detected by **musical instrument** tuning devices (which are quite sensitive, much more so that any frequency counter I've seen), it follows that it cannot also be heard by the human ear, but you say it can. How do you square your apparently contradictory statement?

The **amplifier** is changing gain? What is the mechanism for that?

You've still not answered any of my previous questions yet. I've distilled them below:

1) How have you measured this effect to prove or disprove your hypothesis and add what outcomes does it suggest?

2)Given that a change in the speed of the amplifier has produce no measurable result, how were you able to test your hypothesis?

3)For a given change in gain, say 20 db, over a period of 1/2 second how much change in pitch will be measured?

4)How do you measure Doppler effect in an amplifier?

5)What is the unit of measure?

6)What test equipment do you use for this?

7)How much DE is reduced by your circuit?

8)IME again, I have found that the measurable propagation delay in an amplifier circuit does not change with the input level. How do you square this with your hypothesis?

9)Does your hypothesis support exceptions or does it predict that the experience of perspective is universal?

10)Since when listening I am usually seated, why exactly should I care if there is Doppler effect if I move?

11)In a real life situation, would you not also experience Doppler?

12)It seems to me that you would want to preserve the Doppler effects of real life music. true/false?
Post removed