New Rowland Criterion 2-chassis battery pre

Jeff Rowland Design has just created a page for its upcoming statement-level, twin chassis, battery powered full function preamplifier. Detail is still scant, but a little bit of info is already available, in addition to front and rear view pics. Here’s the page:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion.htm
And here’s the front view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-front.htm
And here’s the rear view:
http://jeffrowland.com/Criterion-back.htm

You will find a few specs already on the site. JRDG should be publishing more info in the next few weeks. I will post here as I receive it. in addition to the published specs that you can read on the page above, here are a very few additional tidbits that I have learned this far:

. Uses Burr Brown TI OPA1632 high speed fully differentially balanced modules.
. Includes phono stage.
. Uses standard NiMH D-cell batteries available in most electronics stores, loaded in 2 rear-inserted tubes of power supply chassis.
. Capable of AC/DC operation . . . will recharge batteries on independent circuit during AC operation.
. Full remote control
. Target price $18K (not sure yet)
. Availability: probably early Fall 2008.
. Will be featured at RMAF in Soundings Hifi suite Marriott 503 or 505 from Oct 10th to 12th in Denver.

And sorry folks, I have not heard this device yet. Nor I have any good third party reports on its sound. Any speculations on Sonics from my part would be just. . . pure speculations. I’ll keep everyone posted as I learn more.

Guido
guidocorona
Thank you guys, and in special for Clavil for the words about dCS products. So I'll get the Puccini and the Puccini clock for shure. Thanks.

I'm gonna to ask the Krell rep (for luck, is the same for dCS products) when he brings me the Puccini after I've buy it to make a demonstration with the 202 preamplifier. Anyway I don't known if he has one for that.

I'll tell you all how the 202 sounds.

Hi Claude, do you happen to know if the Esoteric combo was fully broken in? It takes about 1200 hours for Esoteric gear to sound at its best. . . and when it is not broken in, Esoteric products sound. . . extremely harsh, digital, unemotional, and utterly unpleasant.
On the other hand, Esoteric is extremely revealing and intense, while DCS may sound sweeter. . . it's a matter of personal preference I suppose. G.
Hi Guido, i can't answer your question because i don't know. I was very surprised to hear the system of my friend (sonus faberNom* amati palladio, jadis jp 80, manley mono 500 ... All tube) so harsh and dry (he got it from a dealer to try inhis sytem, finally he didn't bought it). So maybe it was the point you mentioned, but other way are the dealer so s...? I can tell you that the 2nd time i have spent a couple of hours with the Scarlatti it was fresh unpacked from the box. Another friend bought it. On maggie 20 it was magic! I personnally have puccini & clock although i would prefer to have the scarlatti i am very happy with it. I am always looking for high resolution & definition but at the same time musicality and i believe from what i have heard dCS is the best compromise i have heard until now. i have highest respect for Prof Johnson, so that maybe one should try to hear latest spectral cd player.
Kind regards.
Sorry for the mistakes... I am writing from an iphone ... Not so easy ... It seems that a new combi from accuphase is also coming out ... Could be interesting ... And Zanden
regards