Balanced or Unbalanced?

Hi-end should be about as few compromises as one's budget will allow.

It's a shame (or a conspiracy) that hi-end mags do not educate us on the basics, such as unbalanced circuit designs vs differentially balanced designs and XLR connectors/connections vs XLR connectors/connections and their relative impact on music playback. Why do I mention "conspiracy"? Magazines seem reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them- the majority of manufacturers are still in the dark ages selling unbalanced gear. Why? It seems you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Hi-end roots are based in unbalanced designs. When the few differentially balanced designs (XLR) first appeared on the market, they were too expensive for most of us. Today, several manufacturers offer XLR designs that are competitively priced with unbalanced designs.

Think about it, sharing the L/R signal on circuit boards and through parts cannot be a good thing. Adding insult to injury is the RCA connector. A system is only as good as it's weakest link and this is the RCA connection. In response, several manufacturers have improved the RCA connector, but to what ultimate result? You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Reviewers (and I blame this on editors) typically allow balanced components to be reviewed within the confines of an unbalanced system. See The Absolute Sound August issue review of the Raysonic 168. Consequently, we are not informed on the components' ultimate sonic value.

If you are on a quest for best sound, begin to replace your RCA based components with differentially balanced. Most will accommodate RCAs or just buy RCA/XLR adapters until you fully transition.
tweak1
Post removed 
Yes, you have to know which are truly balanced and which are adding a differential circuit. And this works both ways. For example the Slim Device Tranporter adds a circuit for unbalanced. The native output right out of the DAC chip is balanced. So going with RCA requires and additional circuit.
The whole point to balanced connections is noise rejection, yes? So what if your listening environment has very low RFI / EMI noise to begin with? And all your cable lengths are short (1M max), and all your cables are shielded?

I don't see the value to balanced interconnects unless you're talking long cable runs of many meters, or high electrical noise environments.

Obviously, listening is a subjective thing, but my unbalanced system has the deepest blackest silence I've heard. Crank the volume on the amp to maximum and you still can't hear *any* noise from the speakers from just 10 cm away!!
Eactly Lupin. I think that's how we started the thread, YMMV and it's environment dependent.

Dave
Lupinthe3rd and Dave, balanced lines have been shown to be an advantage when the interconnect length is only 6 inches. Their advantages are not based on length, although that **is** an advantage that they have. The real advantage is that the balanced line system was created with the specific intent (which it does very successfully) of eliminating interconnect cable differences and artifacts, in essence, to eliminate anything about the cable that makes it audible in a system.

Another way of looking at this is: if you ever had to audition a cable to see if it sounded right in your system, than you already know what the balanced line system is for and why it can be useful for yourself.