I Feel Overwhelmed....Please Help

Hello, all.

I have recently decided to begin upgrading to stereo components around the entry level audiophile range, and move away from home theater stuff. I need help, as I had no idea until I began recently researching modern amps, preamps, integrateds, etc, just how huge the selection there is available.

Currently, I have the following:

Harman Kardon AVR 235 A/V receiver
Front L&R channels:
50 Watts per channel
@ <0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Harman Kardon FL 8385 CD Changer

Klipsch KG 5.5 Floorstanding Speakers
frequency response 34Hz-20kHz±3dB
power handling 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
sensitivity 98dB @ 1watt/1meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms
tweeter K-85-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver
high frequency horn 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn
woofer Two K-1023-K 10" (25.4cm) Injected Carbon Graphite cones
Bass reflex via front-mounted port

Grado Labs SR325 Headphones

I use the receiver strictly for stereo music playback with my HK CD changer, or I play .flac or .mp3 files via input to the receiver from my computer sound cards optical digital output.

I want to keep my Klipsch speakers for now, along with my Grado cans, which I love. OTOH, I have not been particularly happy with the two HK components. Although the sound is not totally bad, it is a tad too bright, and it is fatiguing to listen over long periods of time. My room acoustics are not ideal either, with hardwood floors and drywall throughout. The listening rooms dimensions are 14'x13', with speaker placement along and near the corners of the 13' wall. At present, I cannot afford any of the acoustic treatments I see on the various internet sites.

From what I have seen so far, I think I would favor the warm, rich, clear sound of tube components. My Klipsch speakers are highly efficient at 8 ohms, so I should not need higher power, but I don't want to lose bass response either. I have not had much experience listening to higher end audio, but I really loved the sound of a friends McIntosh receiver (late 70's vintage), and another friends 60's vintage tubed HH Scott receiver, both systems paired with matching speaker pairs of the same brands respectively. Those experiences are why I believe I should really consider tube amps.

Would someone please be so kind as to suggest components that would allow me to play CD, CD-R, and digital music files based upon what I stated above? I suppose I could do without the ability to directly play back the digital files, but a CD player is a must have. Oh yeah, my budget is up to $3000, but I want to get as much as I can for the best possible price under that ceiling. Thanks.
chap_cat
Post removed 
Post removed 
Chap_cat,
One more suggestion. If you want to fool around with vintage tube gear, I would at least look into something like H.H.Scott from the 60's . My buddy has one and I loved its middle range, liquid, musical and very seductive sound. In fact, I liked it so much that I am getting one for myself. I will pick it up this Friday. I will have Bob Backert (my favorite tech.) look at it and see what can be done to make it even better. I bought it for $300 ( Scott 299B integrated) and small mod performed by B.Backert shouldn't cost more then $300-$500. I would guess that then it should compete with the best. I will post my impresions in my system when the time permits.

Best
Mariusz
I just returned home from my jaunt into San Antonio to do my first day of shopping and listening. Unfortunately, I came home quite disappointed.

My first stop was an appointment at Galen Carol Audio. Mr Carol was very nice and professional, and obviously knew his business. I was disappointed however by the lack of components that I was most interested in, and that fell into my price range. He had no tube gear in stock, which was a major disappointment. He advised that the amps that I would audition would smoke the tube competition in their price range. My first listen was to:

Creek Classic 5350 SE int amp
Creek Destiny DCP
Splendor S8e speakers

Excellent soundstage and detail. I was very impressed, but he did not have the Creek Classic CDP, which is more into my price range, so I have no idea how much difference there would be. Mr Carol assured me that the difference was slight.

The only other audtion was:

SimAudio Moon I-3 int amp
SimAudio Moon CD-1 CDP
a pair of very expensive and very tall electrostatic speakers of which the brand name now escapes me

It was an awesome listening experience. It is the first stereo I have listened to that when I closed my eyes, I thought I was listening to a live performance. I would have sworn the female vocalist was singing 20 feet in front of me. Although the bass was accurate to the nth degree, it was not very deep, but the sound was so beautiful, I did not really miss it. Again, the problem was lack of the particular component in my price range, in this case, the SimAudio Moon I-1.

My next stop was to Bjorn's to hear the Rega and PS Audio gear. They also carry McIntosh, but I did not listen, as it would have only bummed me out even more since it is hopelessly out of my budget. What I did hear:

PS Audio A-100 power amp
PS Audio P-200 preamp
PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
Rega Saturn CDP
B&W 803S speakers

I was fairly impressed with the sound here also, but not quite as much so as with the earlier rigs. Again, it is the Rega Apollo that is in my price range, and they did not have it in stock. The deal offered: If I buy the PS Audio amp/preamp, the DAC would be thrown in free for a total of $2000. The Rega would have to be special ordered because they did not have one in silver to match the PS Audio components. Also, I was not impressed by the spartan appearance of the PS Audio pieces. They were small and plain. I want good sound, but I also want something that is at least a little sexy.

I so wanted to hear some tube amps/CDP's. You would think that in a city of 1.2 million people, there would be a shop with at least something in stock to hear. With this being the case, I am not sure what to do now. Only one other shop in San Antonio, Blue Marble Audio, carries high end audio with brands that I have not heard, but when I spoke with the salesman, he said they did not have any tube gear in stock either. Should I take a chance on purchasing something from online new or used but of excellent repute without listening first, but based on advice from you folks? I may have to make that decision, especially since I live so far out in the boondocks.
One more suggestion. If you want to fool around with vintage tube gear, I would at least look into something like H.H.Scott from the 60's . My buddy has one and I loved its middle range, liquid, musical and very seductive sound. In fact, I liked it so much that I am getting one for myself. I will pick it up this Friday. I will have Bob Backert (my favorite tech.) look at it and see what can be done to make it even better. I bought it for $300 ( Scott 299B integrated) and small mod performed by B.Backert shouldn't cost more then $300-$500. I would guess that then it should compete with the best. I will post my impresions in my system when the time permits.

After today, I certainly am not ruling that option out. As I earlier stated, I have had two lengthy experiences listening to tube gear, and one of those was a Scott, which I loved. I thought the sound of the equipment I listened to today was far superior to what I now own, but there was no question to my ear that it was SS.