I Feel Overwhelmed....Please Help

Hello, all.

I have recently decided to begin upgrading to stereo components around the entry level audiophile range, and move away from home theater stuff. I need help, as I had no idea until I began recently researching modern amps, preamps, integrateds, etc, just how huge the selection there is available.

Currently, I have the following:

Harman Kardon AVR 235 A/V receiver
Front L&R channels:
50 Watts per channel
@ <0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Harman Kardon FL 8385 CD Changer

Klipsch KG 5.5 Floorstanding Speakers
frequency response 34Hz-20kHz±3dB
power handling 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
sensitivity 98dB @ 1watt/1meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms
tweeter K-85-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver
high frequency horn 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn
woofer Two K-1023-K 10" (25.4cm) Injected Carbon Graphite cones
Bass reflex via front-mounted port

Grado Labs SR325 Headphones

I use the receiver strictly for stereo music playback with my HK CD changer, or I play .flac or .mp3 files via input to the receiver from my computer sound cards optical digital output.

I want to keep my Klipsch speakers for now, along with my Grado cans, which I love. OTOH, I have not been particularly happy with the two HK components. Although the sound is not totally bad, it is a tad too bright, and it is fatiguing to listen over long periods of time. My room acoustics are not ideal either, with hardwood floors and drywall throughout. The listening rooms dimensions are 14'x13', with speaker placement along and near the corners of the 13' wall. At present, I cannot afford any of the acoustic treatments I see on the various internet sites.

From what I have seen so far, I think I would favor the warm, rich, clear sound of tube components. My Klipsch speakers are highly efficient at 8 ohms, so I should not need higher power, but I don't want to lose bass response either. I have not had much experience listening to higher end audio, but I really loved the sound of a friends McIntosh receiver (late 70's vintage), and another friends 60's vintage tubed HH Scott receiver, both systems paired with matching speaker pairs of the same brands respectively. Those experiences are why I believe I should really consider tube amps.

Would someone please be so kind as to suggest components that would allow me to play CD, CD-R, and digital music files based upon what I stated above? I suppose I could do without the ability to directly play back the digital files, but a CD player is a must have. Oh yeah, my budget is up to $3000, but I want to get as much as I can for the best possible price under that ceiling. Thanks.
chap_cat
Blindjim said:

"There is nothing half baked about tailoring or tweaking a system to the tastes of it’s owner/builder. My experience has shown swapping out the OEM tubes is one way to go about it and the results from the doing of it have always been improvement, in varying degrees, and occasionally, entirely."

I'm assuming that you're a hobbiest. If so, then anything that you do will be half baked vs. a designer that's spent his whole career designing the best circuits that he knows how to make.

Once again I'll say, some people like to play around and experiment with tubes to see if they prefer different tubes over what the designer chose. I think that's fine for those people that enjoy that, but I'm in the very substantial camp that would rather pay a designer to do his best work and buy accordingly.

I'm not dissing your choice, I'm merely saying that one is no more valid than the other.

Dave
Blindjim said:

"unless the thought is to replace this new/now CDP later on. if that's the case, the OPpo 980H is a slam dunk, multi format player that yields great results in audio and can stick around as just a video player when the itch to move up strikes again. it can even be run as a preamp! Cutting costs even more so, initially anyways"

BTW, I'm not picking on you buddy, you're just deep in this thread. ;-)

I own an Oppo 981HD, two in fact, and they are incredible values for the money, but they're not up to the standard of even the Pioneer DV-58AV which is less than double the price. If you have Ric Schultz mod the Pioneer to his top level, then it's all-in about $1500 and you have a universal that competes with most players under 5-grand, IMHO. Also, he's doing a 32-bit mod which really moves the Oppo up the food chain.

It's funny, if you spend $200 on the Oppo and $400 on an Analysis Plus IC, then you DO in fact have a very nice front end, but the Pioneer is an order of excellence better.

Dave
Blindjim said: I'd like to know if your plans for getting into better audio gear are the beginings of a possibly lengthy system building event, or a one and done upgrade.

Right now, what I have to play back in my collection are CD's and digital files. My wife got my substantial vinyl collection in my recent divorce, so I don't have to worry about a turntable anymore, and I no longer own anything on any tape format (she got all that too). In the future, I intend to purchase CD's and SACD's to add to my collection. I listen to various styles and genres of rock music, jazz, new age, world and some classical.

That said, my immediate goal is to upgrade my amplifier and my CDP. My long term goal is to upgrade my speakers, but I am quite satisfied with my Klipsch KG-5.5 for now. As stated earlier, I believe most any entry level audiophile components should sound considerably superior to what I have now, whether SS or HS, with my current speakers. However, I think it would be wise to purchase an amplifier that could handle tougher to drive speakers as insurance to help meet that long term goal. At my budget level, in the foreseeable future I doubt I will be able to acquire any components in the mid to high end audiophile range, so components of $2000 or less are my target. I am thinking about bumping my current budget for the two new components up to $3500, but that figure must include cables/interconnects, and a new stand. I don't want to go first class on the cabling right now, and I have picked out a nice Bush tower for $358 to diplay my new system.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment at Galen Carol Audio in San Antonio. This dealer carries a wide variety of audiophile gear. I should be able to audition amps and CDP's by Jolida, Shanling, Cayin, Antique Sound Lab, Creek, SimAudio among others. Here is a link to his line list:

http://www.gcaudio.com/products/lineList.html

Unfortunately, the amp that I have been most curious about is the Jolida JD1501RC, and it is not in stock, but he has one coming within the next two weeks. When I spoke with Mr Carol yesterday, he said I could audition the amp at home. I may wait till then to purchase, because the hybrid just seems to be fit the best of both worlds.

I am not a tinkerer, so tube rolling or other modding is not something I am all fired up about. If I could find a SS int amp with pleasing sound, I actually would prefer going that route. It is just that the hollow state amps I have heard in the past were so pleasing to my ear. Tomorrow's listening should go a long way in helping me decide which way to go.
OMG, I hate stories where the wife gets the analog in a divorce. Does she at least listen to it or was that pure spite???

Oh man, I feel your pain.

BTW, I've never dealt with Galen, but I've heard nothing but positives when I lived in DFW.

Dave
Chap_cat, sorry for posting so late but after reading most of the posts and suggestions I would also agree with those that adviced to take your time, audition as many amps, preamps, cdp as possible. I do understand that some might have a problem finding and auditioning the recommendations from fellow members or reviews from the press but at least try, read some reviews for general guaidence. Finding local audiophile club is always a good idea. Usualy those guys are very passionate and helpful and don't mind to share their wisdom or point you in the right direction.

$3000 is a lot of money and I would hate to see you spend it in the rush and regret your choices later.
LIsten to all but do what your hart and your ears tell you.

Many great products out there. Some are also giant killers that represent not only great value but are on par with or better the componets costing much, much more.

Good luck

Mariusz