Tube vs Tran

As my kids are now in high school and beyond, I am starting to get back into 2 channel music.
I am looking at integrated amps with a budget of about $3000.00.
My question: if we always hear how great tubes sound as far as warmth, sound stage, etc, etc. Why buy trans equipment? If one uses speakers that are good match with tube, why not use?
There could be an obvious answer, and if so pls forgive me. But, I really am interested in what you all think out there.
Thanks
rickfariasjett
Agree with Aball, get out and listen. Lots of good integrateds in that 3k range. What else are you putting together? Do you already have other components?

beerdraft
For Bob Reynolds.

You do NOT, nor should you connect a subwoofer in the manner you prescribed. The best method is connecting it directly from the speaker outputs of an amp. This is beneficial in two ways, the most of which is not loading down the preamp section. And this is plainly audible with most preamps.

Shakey
Many of us have had both SS and tubed equipment. Each offers it's own unique sound characteristics. On top of that you can alter the sound of tubed equipment by simply using different tubes. As far as I an concerned, Solid State is done when you buy it. Tubes will require replacement which is an added cost and they definitely will spark experimenting in tube rolling which is even a bigger cost. As Ncarv said, all good answers, but it comes down to personal taste!
Back to the original question of why would anyone ever buy SS when tube "sound so good". Many speakers benefit from the extremely low impedance at SS amps which causes a high damping factor.

Basically the damping factor rates the amps ability to control the physical ringing of speakers after a note has sounded. If you switch out amps while listening to a passage with lots of bass content, it'll be very obvious as you move from a low damping factor to a high damping factor or vice versa.

Vienna Acoustics, DALI and Sonus Faber are examples of speakers that are really designed to work best with a high damping factor and relatively high power.

Tube amps are sometimes described as having "woolly bass." This is probably because they were paired with a speaker that needed a much higher damping factor. Relative to tubes, SS amps tend to have higher damping factors, but they're not all equal. The Jeff Rowland 501 monoblocks have a damping factor of like 1000 into an 8 ohm speaker. That's very high (and you hear it) but a damping factor of 100 or 50 isn't unusual for SS amps.

Generally, if you hear a speaker with a woolly, ringing bass, it'll very likely benefit from being driven by a SS amp with a high damping factor.

Dave
Dave, I respectfully disagree. The idea of damping factor is mostly mythology. If you hear a differece between an amp with a 'damping factor' of 1000 and one with 50, its likely due to other things than 'damping factor'. More likely the differences you hear are due to the amounts of negative feedback required to make a 'damping factor' that high.

One would be severely challenged to actually be able to define a sonic artifact and point to 'damping factor' as its cause. Audio signals require that the power energizing the speaker diaphragm not only carry it to the limit of the signal's excursion, but also back again to zero. There are no audio signals that stop at the peak of the waveform and fall to zero instantaneously- even synthesizers don't do that.

This is not to say that the output impedance of the amplifier does not have an effect on the sound (damping factor is an expression of output impedance, BTW). For more on that see
http://www.atma-sphere.com/papers/paradigm_paper2.html

Tube amplifiers can have excellent bass (given an appropriate load). The 'wooly' term at best is innuendo without a being a true statement of merit. There are tube amplifiers that can reproduce a 20Hz squarewave as well as transistor amps can. In the past there were older, lessor designs, but that says nothing about what is possible today.