TVC Promethius versus Bent

Any impressions on differences from this that have tried TVCs from both these companies? Also, I'm not sure why a transformer would help over of a passive resistor based attenuator (assuming a very high quality pot)assuming drive, low output impedance source, low capacitance cables, high sensitivity amp with high input impedance (100kohm). If more is less, why isn't adding a transformer just more, though minimal, distortion? Sort of two questions, but I have a high quality passive volume control, but have an interest in the TVC idea, especially these two brands or something made by Kevin Carter.
pubul57
Well, I certainly get the sense that the two brands are very competive with no clear cut winner, which is good as I can sort of decide on price, ergonomics, and aesthetics. I had the Placette RVC which was very clear, neutral and deatailed, but not "plump" enough in the mid bass and bass for me, it seem a bit reticent. Maybe the frequencies were there, but no in-room bloom like I get from my Joule LA 150 MKII, or for that matter the Placette Active which I had transitionig to the Joule. I love the Joule, but I also want a passive for kicks and to have a different sound signature to enjoy. I'm not sure what C-core means since I know nothing at all about electronics, but I take it they perform better that EI transformers - don't know. I hear alot about the S&B tranformers used in the Bent NOH, Tap, and others, are you saying the C-core is a superior technology? I'm not sure I am ever going to really understand this so I'll depend on rational consensus and try one or the other.
Pubul57, I am also challenged technically, but here is what I know (or, I should say, what I think I know...any of you EE types should feel free to correct me where I go astray): The type of core (EI vs. C in this case) simply describes the shape of the ferrous core in the transformer through which the music signal is effectively transfered from the primary windings (input) to the secondary windings (output) as the result of magnetic inductance. (The signal flowing around the core on the primary windings induces a magnetic flux in the core, which, in turn, induces an electrical signal on the secondary windings.)

With respect to the transformers that Promitheus is using in their TVCs, the EI-core transformer is rather small with comparatively thick core laminations (.35mm). The C-core transformer is much larger and heavier and uses finer laminations in the construction of the core (.05mm). The result is much better sound quality in the bigger and more expensive transformer. The flagship model TVC is the Signature model, which uses a pair of the C-cores in each transformer (one transformer per channel) and also uses more expensive Elma switches as the source selector and volume control. The sound quality of the flagship Signature TVC is significantly better than the EI-core models, which, in and of themselves are very good (and an excellent value).
Since everyones gear and ear is different trying both styles would be best. C-core has always been better to my mind. I want remote and have very well suited gear for a passive setup. I use Placette's w/ 3 inputs and a remote and 125 volume positions. With Vishay S-102 resistors, a logic circuit,relay controlled resistor ladder. No pot. Very nice. I tried a friends Promethius TVC and it was a bit more veiled in the HF and less dynamic.

ET
The S&B transformers used by Bent seem to have a great reputation, is it possible that the Promtheus trasformers are as good, even with C-core?
ET, if you get a chance to try the Promitheus Signature TVC, I think you will find it worth your while. The new TVC has better top end frequency extension, dynamics, bass weight and overall refinement/finesse than the less expensive EI-core units. I would be very interested in how the new Signature TVC compares with a system such as yours, which sounds like a well-optimized Placette RVC implementation.