Why the Distain For the Rotel RB-1080 Power Amp?

As a newbie doing the research to assemble a solid 2 channel system, I am winding my way through the myriad of choices in the preamp & power amp market. A daunting task. In the process, I have come across many audiophiles who feel that within the same price range there are many preferable power amps to the Rotel RB-1080. Is there any objective basis in this broad statement or is it simply the "Ford vs. Chevy" debate in sonic clothing?

Thank you for answering my posts. This forum has been an invaluable tool in ascending the learning curve.
kitjv
I had the Rotel 990bx (200/ch) a while back. It was a big step from the late 80's Adcom it replaced. The Rotel was a real powerhouse (bet it would work well for woofers in a vertical bi-amp).

I switched from the Rotel to a DNA-1 and that was big step up. The McCormack is far more refined, big reduction in grain. This reminds me that I need to sell the DNA-1 at some point.

I now use an Edge NL10.1, which is a major step up in cost.

Also tried the Belles 150 and Belles 150A Hotrod. The former is very smooth, the Hotrod adds more resolution, but falls short of the DNA-1, IMO. Also tried a Plinius and found the DNA-1 to be smoother.
Look into the Odyssey Stratos power amplifier as an alternative. You can get stereo or mono block, stock or modified versions and all come with relatively high to very high current capacity and dampening factors to keep a grip on your speakers and stay ahead of demanding musical passages. Definitely more neutral than the big Rotel. If you are considering the 1080, I assume space is not necessarily an issue?

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products.html

Another alternative is Rotel's new digital power amp which has received good reviews.

http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=5
I switched from a Rotel RB-1080 to an Odyssey Stratos Extreme SE a month ago and the difference has been astounding. I am ashamed to think I actually lived with the Rotel for a year. The evolution of my system will revolve around this wonderful amp, and ,if need be, it will receive some upgrades. This amp seems to have a wonderful range of upgrade iterations available.
I don't know about the RB-1080, but my RB-1070 is a real dead sounding amp. I've taken it out of my main 2-channel system and relegated it to subwoofer amp duty.
I had an RB1070 for maybe....8 months w/Maggie 1.6s
Not a real good match. The Rotel wasn't really happy driving 4ohms, though it NEVER ran warm, even in my poorly ventilated enclosure. The replacement PS Audio ICE integrated is a real improvement and has limitless feeling dynamics.
Don't forget, at least for the '1070, there is no factory 4ohm power rating.....and a limit of 8ohms bridged.
The 1080 has no such limit.