Carver sonic holography

My wife was at a thrift store and found a Carver CT-seven preamp (she said she could tell it was good because it had handles :)in perfect condition for $20 dollars(I've never thought much of Carver equipment, even when i sold it 15 years ago) - I hooked it into my system (musical fidelity studio t amp, mac mini with behringer DAC) and all I can say is WOW! I'm not one usually for gimmics but when the sonic holography is on the sound stage is as wide as the room (20ft) and instruments are razor sharp in placement(I'm a big sound stage guy) what gives? - I've tried it with mg12's,AR m5's, Vandersteen 2ces and a pair of cheap Polk monitor 40's -the sound stage on all these speakers improves dramatically and I really dig the sound i'm hearing(on most songs) - has anyone else had this experience with the sonic holography?
thymanst
It works well with some speaker systems. I don't like it with my Apogees...sounds good with my bookshelf VMPS's though.

Dave
I bought a new CT-17 back in '93 for $559 and it's still in use in my secondary rig.
I never turn off the Sonic Holography.
The ACCD circuit works quite well also.
I am considering an Anthem D1 as an upgrade from my AVM20 but the sonic holography feature (which I've never heard) on the Sunfire TG5 intrigues me. Putting aside the fact that the TG5 has HDMI connects and the D1 doesn't, do you think the sonic holography feature is so unique as to sway me toward a TG5? Or does the sound of a D1 simply win over a TG5, with or without that feature engaged?
Gr8ful
There is no audio through HDMI on the TG5. The HDMI on the TG5 is only for video.
I didn't mean to imply that I would play music through HDMI. Sorry. I simply was stating a feature that the TG5 had that the D1 didn't. My direct question: assuming a love for 2 ch music, would the D1 get the nod or would the TG5 sonic holography setting be enough to sway one to Sunfire. My CD player is a Electrocompaniet EMC 1-UP 24/96, Usher 8871 speakers, Harmonix and Cardas for all interconnects and power cords. The amp, by the way, is actually a 5x225 Sunfire Cinema Grand. My reason for listing these item is to show the analog, tube-like sound I'm looking for which I'm getting closer to. Thus, the pre-amp choice should be in the same vein and someone mentioned the sonic holo setting was very, very analog sounding. I don't know what to think. Help. Thanks.