Preamp has too much gain

Hi.
This is my first post here. I have a Consonance Reference 1.1 preamp that has too much gain. Is there anyway I can reduce the gain without any loss to the sound and does any member know how I can go about purchasing a schematic. I try to fax them, but their tel. number is not in service.
electra
A quick and easy method is to install an in-line attenuator between your pre-amp and amp. There are typically classified ads here on AudiogoN for a Rothwell 10bd in-line attenuator. I've never used them, but the subject comes up often and I've read that they don't seem to have a negative impact on overall sonics.

Personally, I would prefer this method to modifying the circuit. I wouldn't want to do anything to the unit that may damage it or lower its resale value.

Enjoy,

TIC
I have a Consonance Reference 1.1 preamp that has too much gain.

I'm assuming by this you mean it is too loud with the volume barely turned up, but your assessment of the problem is not correct since you never use the gain that the preamp has. The stated gain of the pre is with the volume all the way up, but you don't have it all the way up (the preamp is attenuating the signal all the time instead of amplifying it) so the problem is it doesn't attenuate enough and/or the steps are too big (and here is the important part) for your combination of components.

It is normal to blame the pre because that is where the volume control is, but that isn't the correct analysis. You need a source that puts out less voltage, or a pre with more attenuation, or an amp that has less gain, or speakers that are less efficient, or some combination of these.

In line attenuators as suggested is one approach, or find components that go together better.
Post removed 
Very easy to fix, just need couple of high-quality resistor to construct a voltage divider.

Assuming your preamp has an input impedance of 100kOhm, then, to reduce the gain to 1/3, you can insert a 200kOhm resistor in series to the input RCA.

The gain will be reduced by 100k / (200k + 100k) = 0.33x, i.e. 1/3 in this example.

You can also use a high quality variable resistor, such as a Bournes pot then you can adjust the gain with a screw driver.