The Best Amp for the Price of Dirt

The Berringer a 500 Reference Amp that can be purchased on Musican's Friend web site for 194.00( each) to your house in the US of A w/ a 2 year warranty is a KILLER. I have several amps and these are scarey. Granted they were designed overseas & built in China... However, they are 19lbs GIANTS . Don't take my word go to the "Audio Critic" web site for a full review. This is my one an only give-away . Use it or loose it. Best to 'All
crem1
Crem1

So far, I think +/- 18 months.

I have never had a problem, and never turned them off - other than once in a while when they have suffered a power outage which is more than average where we live.

Periodic outages and/or surges have also not affected them, perhaps more evidence that they are more robust than the price tag would suggest.

They do have a cheesey plastic front panel and volume knobs, but otherwise seem heavier and better built than I would have expected.

I continue to believe that the most vocal detractors of these amps must be dealers of overpriced, struggling brands.

Enjoy the dirt,

cwlondon
Dirt Lovers: Soon, I intend to hook up two A500's directly to a Oppo DV-970 HD ( $577.00 total investment) connecting them to the Nova Evolution III Speakers ($39,500.00 the last time I checked). I'll keep you informed should that combo comes close to the Big Rig.
Hi All,
I have no experience with the amps mentioned in this thread,except for the original NoRh Le Amp mono's.
I think I paid ~$300-$350 for a mint but used pair.
IMO,the best amp for 'the price of dirt'
would have to be one of Tim Rawson's clone amps.
At one time I had a $2500 retail,all time classic,and possibly on a short list of one of the best SS amps ever built,A Pass Labs Aleph-3.
I can still kick myself for selling it.The only reason I sold it was I bought some super hard to drive Thiels.
I should have kept the Aleph-3 and bought speakers that mated well with the Aleph-3, but thats now water under the bridge.
I recently bought a 15 wpc, full class A bias (super hot running) Aleph Mini J(fets) Tim had built and sold to me for $235 shipped.
The Aleph Mini has all the air,detail,huge sounstage etc, I remember my old Aleph-3 having.
What surpised me the most is the incredible bass the Aleph Mini puts out.
Hands down a winner in that area over the 30 wpc Aleph-3. The bass of the Aleph-3 has always been its weakness anyway.
If you feel you need more power,Tim offers a 30wpc/60wpc @ 4ohm Aleph-3 clone.
I have no need for more power than 15 wpc.and get more than enough power and volume running the Aleph Mini through my 98dB 16ohm Electro-voice 12-TRXB's or my 96-98dB 8ohm Sansui SP-2700 speakers.
One nice thing about buying from Tim is he will build a custom amp for a buyer.
Send him some good qualty wire,upgrade RCA's and speaker posts, and he will wire the amp with the wire and install the RCA's and posts.
I have a friend who sent Tim several upgraded parts,and even with the cost of the parts,his Aleph Mini only cost him $300
Again,I you need more power than 15wpc,and dont want upgraded parts (and a higher labor cost) you can usually score a 30WPC Aleph-3 clone for ~$300.
You might want to look at other amps Tim builds also. The Gain Clone reportedly sounds very good, and is quite cheap to buy.
I see Tim has built and listed a couple more amps. Search 'aleph' or 'clone'
Tims amps sell quickly so you have to be on your toes to snatch one.

dave