Cooling fans for tube amp

Just read a thread from 2005 about rack cooling fans. I'm having a custom built wood cabinet made with casters for my stack that includes an Audio Research D-90 that can get very warm after an hour or so.

Any new recommendations on what fan to use and how to set-up? Most computer fans don't have standard wall plug connectors.

I was thinking about a 4" diameter fan that will plug into my "Switched" power output off the SP-12 pre amp so it goes on auto whenever I power up. Should it "push" or "pull" the air? Mount on the back of the cabinet with a cut-out for airflow?

I may just run a power strip off the pre-amp's switched output to power one to two fans plus the subwoofer so they all only run when I power up the pre-amp and amp.

Also thinking of putting heat resistant tape/insulation on the underside of the wooden shelf directly above the amp.

Sound OK?

Or something better work w/o a major engineering project?
jamesk58
I stand by my statement, you want to move air through the cabinet and heat away from the equipment. You need a source for the air (vents or an input fan) and a place to exhaust the air (vents or an exhaust fan). You can do this without "blowing air on the tubes" (if you think that's a problem), but some may not be able to visualize this.
My plan is to get the 4" fan and mount on the back side of the cabinet. The cabinet does not have doors. There is a 3" circular hole perfectly situated in the 3" space above the top of the amp and the next shelf.

The fan should pull ambient air from the front of the cabinet across the top of the amp and out the back. I will also look into a reostat so I can modulate the air flow.
Again, induced or forced draft doesn't change the amount of air cooling the tubes nor its quality. Even if the pressure is positive inside the cabinet, dust enters from the room in the air being blown in by the fan, unless one has a filter on the intake of the fan.
At any rate, the tube amplifier should not be placed inside a cabinet and if one must, it should be placed at the highest level so that its heat doesn't affect other components.
The amp needs to be on the bottom for low CG and overall stability. I also intend to get some heat tape to attach to the bottom of the immediate shelf above the amp. My Akai tape player is situated directly above. I don't believe I'll run into an issue with overheating the other componets, but do want to keep the amp at a reasonable temp.