Cat Ultimate MkII Preamp mods for volume control?

This question is directed to those who may own the CAT Ultimate preamp. I am very satisfied with this pre (line stage only).The one thing that I feel is a negative is that the volume control has few steps, which for the most part does not bother me. It is when I have company, or am eating dinner and would like background music at low settings where the problem then arises. The difference between the lowest setting and no volume is enough to not listen to music at these times. I don't know if anyone has experienced this, or if there is a modification for a different contol unit. I don't know if Ken Stevens had a reason behind the few stepped control unit, but in my opinion a few more wouldn't hurt. Any suggestions?
proclaim123
Hi. I believe that you can get a diff volume control directly from CAT. The other one, which is optional when purchasing a preamp, has more steps at the lower end of the control than the stock volume control has.
You can also add a placette
check this out:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1159194844&read&3&4&
I tried the Placette RVC and it will work wonderfully well as a volume control, as well as providing you with remote control. I have the CAT Ultimate and this set up sounded great, but the Placett on its own might be even better in the right system.