Contrast/compare 50W tube amps

Any one familiar with these amps,or make recommendations on another.To be used with two speaker systems:Gallo 90db/9 ohms and Open Baffle 90db/6 ohms.THE CONTENDERS:
Quicksilver Triode monos(6c33c-b/50W)
DeHavilland GM-70s
Bat VK-75SE
Atma-Spere M-60 MKIIIs
Trancendant "The Beast" (I know they are 175/W)
I like the tube warmth,but need the extemsion/dynamics.Cabling will most likely be Omega Mikro.
Thanks for looking/responding in advance,Tom
tpsonic
OTL's, as a general rule, can sound stupendous. That is, so long as they are VERY carefully mated to the loudspeaker & cabling that they will drive. The higher the nominal impedance of the speaker, the better the OTL will work. The lower the impedance of the speaker, the more that the reactance of the speaker will "modulate" what one hears. Most would refer to this as a lack of "damping factor", but what it really boils down to is a lack of available current in the output stage of the amp.

If you look at the power output on most OTL's, you'll find that their power output actually goes UP as impedance climbs, which is the exact opposite of SS and most tubed gear ( to a certain extent ). As such, a 6 ohm nominal impedance may be too low for most OTL's, even though the Atma's are nice amps. I say this because most speakers that are "nominally rated" at 6 ohms will typically dip to 4 ohms or less. The "nominal" rating simply means that the average impedance "balances out" to the rated figure, taking into consideration the various peaks and dips involved.

Other than that, you might want to look at the availability of any tube that you'll be using. Are there lots available? Different brands to experiment with? What do they cost to replace? How hard is it to convert the unit from one type of tube to another? All of this comes into play if you intend on keeping these amps for an extended amount of time. Sean
>
OTL + seas + disaster.
Glad I could see a comment on the EL34's, "lacks top/bottom".
seems i got very lucky with my Jadis OR and her KT90's. seems 90's give best extention in bottom and highs. I've heard several 88 amps, bland.
>>I've heard several 88 amps, bland<<

Perhaps they do not match well with your speakers but, for the most part, KT88 tubes and the amps that are based around them, are not "bland". You need to get outside of the Seas box that apparently constrains your thinking.
I listed minimum impedance for each speaker being used.
I mich prefer the 88s,as opposed to either 34s/6550.The Prima Luna(kt-88) I currently use seems to better the AHT/VIVA set-up previously used.
Any Transcendant "The Beast" owners/builder-DIYers??
Post removed