How can I tell if I need more power?

I'm driving a pair of Vandy 3A's with an older Parasound DR65 (65wpc) receiver. Vandersteen recommends 100 to 200wpc for 3A's. I've considered adding a power amp while using the DR65 as a preamp (to keep the tuner), but I since can't hear any obvious lack of sound quality, and I never get close to pushing the level to clipping with 65wpc, I wonder if I'd really gain performance that would be proportional to the high expense of a good power amp. Advise from the audio sages would be welcome.
dwpc
I have heard your speakers with a Audio Research D-130 and a AR pre. Before that he had a jvc rec. The difference is un real. The Ar seems to be perfict with that speaker. I have a Krell he wont let me compare them he is afraid hell like it better, says toooooo much money!
Bravo Sean I agree 100%. Quality is the key I believe when it comes to pwr. Watts can be sold to the unadvised but a good 60 quality watts will always out perform a bad designed 100. There are dealers in CA that should steer you in the right direction. Best of luck.
Hi, Dwpc:

I have been a proud Vandy owner for many years, and upgraded to a pair of 3A Signatures about a year ago. I had a fairly good preamp and power amp at the time, and thought the system sounded good. Then I replaced the amp with a Bryston 4B-ST, and the speakers "suddenly" sounded much better. Then I swapped out the preamp and replaced it with a Bryston SP-1, and VOILA! everything came together. Let me tell you that Vandy 3A's, and particularly the 3A Sig's, are far better speakers than most people realize, and can be realistically paired with electronics that sell for as much as $7.5k -$10k. Each improvement you make in your system will be faithfully reproduced by the Vandy's. (At some point, I suggest you send your 3A's to Vandersteen to have them upgraded to the 3A Signature version. It's really worth the additional $750.) This is a long preamble to telling you to get better electronics -- the Vandy's keep sounding better and better as you upgrade the electronics in front of them. So, as time and budget allows, you ought to consider a new preamp and power amp such as the Brystons (they pair beautifully with the Vandy 3 series), McCormack, Marsh Audio Design, or similar high-quality tube gear. In closing, let me bring your attention to a review of the Vandy 3A Sig's and other Vandy home theater speakers that has just appeared in the edition of "Widescreen Review" magazine that just hit the newstands (the Nov-Dec issue, I think). Shane Buettner, the equipment editor for WR, wrote a long review of the Vandy 3A Sig's, VCC-5 center speaker, etc., and he absolutely raved about his epiphany as a Vandersteen owner. He is using superb electronics with them, such as BAT's newest preamp, the Theta Dreadnaught amp, etc., and he makes an emphatic point that people who assume that the Vandy's are good only with electronics in their same general price range are WRONG. The Vandy 3-series speakers, if wrapped in nice veneer and sold by almost anyone other than Richard Vandersteen, would be selling in the $5000-$7500 range, and high-end audiophiles would still be thinking they got a great buy. For $2800-3500 for the 3-series, you have acquired one of the finest speakers on the market, BAR NONE, and they deserve to be paired with the best electronics you can afford. Trust me -- you won't be disappointed. Even my wife, who is at best tolerant of my audio habit, has commented on every upgrade over the past year, noting that our Vandy 3A Sig's reveal every improvement, and now sound more like "real music" than anything she has ever heard -- or imagined possible in a home environment. Enjoy, my friend -- you have just started on what will be a very pleasurable journey of discovery. (And read that review in "Widescreen" -- it's got some excellent info about why the Vandy 3-series is such a fine speaker.)
I have heard your speakers with ARC VT100 (any version)amp and LS-25 pre-amp. A very nice system... Richard Vandersteen does endorse running his equipment on ARC, as I have been to several audio parties with Richard present... I am not affiliated to either company...
Re: this thread. ummm, how come audiogon is so much more friendly and down to earth than audio asylum? Ok, off topic, sorry, but threads like these always remind me of that question.

I think every speaker starts to shine more and more, the better amplification you through at. I've had three different amps on my speakers (Snell Type D's) and each time, the speaker seems to "mature" and get more and more well-rounded. Of course, its the amplification that affords that change.

pcanis