what is the REAL deal with DK

I know there has been a lot on this manufacturer, but I just discovered them myself(today). I have never read so many positives while at the same time read so many negatives on any on amp(or any product for that matter). At the same time they are getting huge pats on the back from two different magazines? Could some owners of the Dk vs1 mk 2 offer there opinions that still own them, I maybe looking for an intergrated hybrid that has some power and this is the only one that seems to fit the bill in my price range. So...why the extreme positive and negative?!
sean34
Trelja,

I misunderstood me. I never said that the square wave behavior of an amplifier should form the basis of a buying decision for an audiophile and a music lover. The square wave response is only an indication of competent engineering and a good quality, well manufactured piece of equipment. It should serve only as an indicator that this particular component is worth checking out, simply because there is a high degree of chance that it might turn out to be a terrific performer. But of course, if after some listening the listener doesnt like the sound there is no reason whatsoever that he should buy this component. As in the case of Halcro, the company has terrific measurements but not everyone likes the sound of their equipment.

On to Jadis. I never said that Jadis was a bad amplifier. I said that the particular audiogon member who was looking specifically for an amplifier that has great bass, dynamics, lots of power, and good midrange reproduction at the same time. I think the Jadis is sublime at capturing certain types of musical pieces, particularly small scale quartets and closely miked female vocals. But I am sorry, it WILL fall appart on say Mahler Symphony #5 played at realistic volume levels or Tchaikovsky Overture 1812. Or any kind of high energy rock music, the Jadis simply will not keep up with the DK. Have you ever tired playing Metallica through the Jadis?

But ultimately I think the Jadis is an awesome amp and depending on the speakers and listening preferences it may just be the ticket for a serious music lover.
Well, Audioari1, I half agree with you in terms of the square wave. Your comment on the Halcro is more in line with how I feel. I'll leave it at if an amplifier reproduces a square wave beautifully I can say that it defintely reproduces a square wave beautifully. Again, I don't listen to square waves...

Now, you keep on talking about "the" Jadis amplifier. I am asking you WHICH ONE? Not to back you into a corner, but you really need to convince me that you have actual experience with a Jadis for me to take this comments seriously

The DA30 that I own does not blow you back, but with my speakers (Coincidents and Frieds), I can push 95 dB out of it. Not exactly rocking, but louder than most audiophiles go. For that, I will say you are correct. The DK should wipe it up in terms of power and slam. Still, it's quite an authoritative little amp prior to running out of steam.

With my JOR, I listened at my normal volumes of 95 dB at my chair, which is over 105 dB at the speaker cones. With NO strain whatsoever at the amplifier. 110 - 115 at the speaker cone was probably where it began to go into what we call "tube blow" - where the sound gets wooly.

And, finally, with my DA60, I have no measured it yet, but I can tell you, it will play as loud as the biggest of headbangers demands, and I have not pushed it yet.

I feed my amplifiers a steady diet of Metallica, NWA, The Cure Mixed Up, Kraftwerk, and whatever else you care to name outside of classical music, and consistently produce 120 dB at the cones of my speakers with no issue whatsoever. I do this regularly whether I want to listen loud or not, as Bud Fried convinced me it is good for a driver, as it lowers its mechanical Q. I'm not the typical audiophile. I don't go any higher than that, but if you need more, please let me know.
Hi,

Does anybody know Daniel Khesins whereabouts? I have tried contacting him at an email that was given to me by DK but it came back to me.

I'd appreciate some help in tracking him down.

Thanks

Raymon
You can try his personal email address which is [email protected]

Him and I corresponded a little bit at this address shortly after he sold the company. He should get back to you quickly.
Actually, music is a very complex waveform and so the ability of an amplifier to reproduce it is closely related to its ability to reproduce squarewaves. In essence we do isten to square waves.