Using Double Preamplification vs X10D V3

Why using a single buffering unit with tubes at the output stage of your solid state preamp(ei:Musical fidelity X10 v3)?
Why not hook all your sources to your SS preamp and then connect the output stage of that pre to a good Tube Preamp auxilliary stage. Adjusting the Vol. characteristics of the tube preamp to an optimal volume and further on connecting its output stage to your amplifier?
Has anyone tried this setup?
128x128drmoles
They make hybrid preamps--Curcico mods of dynas for example. If it takes two to do it, my bet is that somewhere there is one single preamp that will do the same thing as well, better, cheaper for sure.
"Just because it works doesn't mean it's right"

Incredible....a guy tweaks his sytem and gets the sound he likes, someone else comes along and says it might not be right because of the way it is put together.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I say if it sounds good to you, it's right....period.
Ok, well, I am a reviewer, so there is at least one reviewer's setup that is presently using that particular arrangement. It may not be the simplest solution to the problem, but it's one that works well.

If the two preamps were actually combined together on one chassis that would be simpler and more optimum, and no-one would raise an eyebrow, not even Onhwy61.

As it is, we have two totally isolated power supplies for the respective solid-state and tube stages with the ability to fine tune the power cords and interconnects for each section, independently.

Since we are going through an extra volume control and an extra set of interconnects, the configuration is not ideal. Yet to my ears, in many ways, the combination of the two sounds better than either preamp alone. That is all I'm saying, and I'm hoping it doesn't raise your blood pressure too much.

If someone would volunteer to combine these two preamps on a single chassis for me and bypass one volume control, that would be great. But until that happens, I hope you don't mind if I enjoy the great sound I'm hearing right now.

In addition to the Z-man and Musical Fidelity tube line buffers, I will remind you that a few years ago there was another audiophile product specifically developed for this purpose, called the Harmonic Recovery System, by SCE. It got terrific reviews in many of the mags. The reviewers universally agreed that their systems sounded considerably better by adding this device (essentially a high-current, solid-state preamp) than without it.
At this point, I'd like to take the opportunity to point out that Drmoles asked for impressions from people who have tried the aforementioned solid-state/tube setup. He did not ask for advice on how to build an all-out assault on the art preamp... I believe that would be a different question.
I would like to mention the fact that I am matching a MF 3.2 cr pre with a Rogue Magnum Pre going to a Jeff Rowland Amp. I have achieved a sound, which, I suspect, would cost a lot of dough investing in the perfect pre.
I have done the homework prior to matching amp to preamp by checking to output impedances and input impedances of the equipment mentioned above.
I would love to have the money to try units like the Boulder 2010, Mark Levinson # 32, Cello Audio Palette or even, the ideal match for my amp, Jeff Rowland Coherence II.
I invite anyone to check the prices on these units and start calling your real state broker of choice for a second mortgage.
My point is, simply, there might be other ways of scaping the large equipment expenditures we incurr in this hobby.