tube character with pre-amp

As a new and excited tube pre-amp owner I wonder if a few can give ideas of tubes that can one day be explored in my Sonic Frontiers, I know little to nothing of what tubes have what sonic character so I am asking for opinions, I will say I am sorry if this has been hashed out to death here. I may also want to add that I am using Innersound Eros Electrostat Hybrids and like the sound, at increased levels the highs can start to fatigue although I am not sure if this is blamed by my Rotel Pre, my room or both and then some.....thanks
chadnliz
Hi,
I use SFL-2, but never know anything about SFL-1 or other pre. Recently, I have a luxury to audition some of NOS tube (resonably priced) with my SFL-2 and found:
1. Siemens CCa - very musical, might be a bit "thin" (compare to others) in some system, best resolution. But with problem of microphonics (I have tried 3 pair from different sellers, all came out microphonics, I don't know why)
2. Amperex USN-CEP (white labeled) - warm, focus, less musical than CCa.
3. Amperex 6922 PQ (green labeled) - similar to USN-CEP.
4. Philips Miniwatts SQ - a bit less great than Amperex, but a bit better bass.
5. Mullard CV 2493 - quite similar to Philips SQ.

All have good soundstage, the differences are not very noticeable to me (or I could not describe them in detail), but they are all very good tubes. If your system is a bit dull, CCa is great. Others may add some warmness in your system. Amperex is generally more balance in LF, HF, and Mid. But I am a new-tuber, so these are just my opinion.
Thanks