Opinions on bang for the buck on TT & tonearm

$6000.00 budget on the used or demo market.
The sound; must create the illusion of being there, accurate vocals and sufficient bass. I know kinda tall order.
Thanks curleyques
curleyques
Lewm, I don't actually know if Nottingham Analouge is still in business. I was assuming that Tom Fletcher's original firm went out of business after Tom passed away in 2011, but that may be incorrect. According to their website, Pear Audio Analouge says that they are building their Pear Audio Blue turntables based on Tom Fletcher's latest designs, and that Tom Fletcher had been designing turntables for Pear Audio Analogue founder Peter Mezek for some time before his death. More than that I do not know.

What I can reiterate is that I saw two of these tables at the show and was very impressed. I have previously owned two Nottingham turntables, and while I enjoyed them there were a few issues that drove me nuts. As far as I can tell without a formal demo, the Pear Audio Blue turntables have kept all the things I liked about the old Nottingham line and improved the things I was less happy with.

I am looking forward to seeing and listening to the new Robin Hood turntable. My local dealer tells me that he should have one to demo sometime this month.
Bodotes, I too was a satisfied Notts user, although I've since gone on to a tweaked Lenco and several vintage DD turntables. I thought my Hyperspace was excellent, however, very open and "big" sound. After asking my question here, I did go to the Pear Audio website, and they do leave the impression that for sure there is an affiliation with Notts, if not more of a takeover of Tom Fletcher's philosophy. What I don't see in the Pear Audio product line is anything comparable in scale and ambition to the Dais or the Anna Log, let alone even the Hyperspace, if platter massiveness is any criterion. Two things I would have changed regarding the Notts paradigm: (1) More powerful motor that can start the platter from rest with no manual assist, and (2) less compliant drive belt. And of course you need the motor controller to max out the performance of any Notts; I could not believe the improvement I heard with the use of a Walker Audio Controller.
Lewm, I don't know about the Dais or Anna Log. I never saw one of these decks. I have owned a Nottingham Horizon SE and later a 294, and from what I saw I would say the Pear Audio Blue turntables looked much better made. The fit and finish was certainly better then on my old tables. My bugaboo with the old Nott decks was with the damned Space tonearm. The new tonearms look like there has been substantial improvement.

If I had the bucks I would spring for the Kid Thomas deck with the regulated power controller and Comet 2 tonearm. But I don't. I am hopeful that the new Robin Hood will meet my requirements.

Lewm: "And you know what audiophiles are like, me included. What I own is obviously the best."

Thanks for summarizing audiophilia for me. For a long time I thought being an audiophile is to think "what I own is what I LIKE best." Now I know.