How Good Is A Marble Slab at Deadening Vibration

I have a marbles slab that is approx. 42" X 16X 2". A left over insert from a coffee table. I would like to lay it on top of a plant stand table that is 50" X 18X 30" The slab weigh about 70 lbs. II think I have enough space laterally to position a Rega turntable, a Bel Canto line stage, and Rega Apollo CD player and a pair of Red Dragon monoblocks, that could easily be stack vertically if necessary.(Also could place them on the bottom shelf which has a slight V-shaped dip ...probably a run off channel. This would save me three feet of speaker cable on both channels is placed near the bottom)

The plant stand is made of wood and has fairly massive "L-shaped" legs. The table weight is about 40 pounds.

My thinking is that a marble slab should provide excellent isolation from vibration. The only drawback is the left side of table will only be a foot from the right speaker. So I would start the progression of components from right to left to increase the distance to the speaker in question. Would like opinions from members about the pros/cons of this set-up. Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim
I suspect one will have much better results using slabs of marble, granite, etc. if he mounts the slab on cones and avoids the use of soft pliant materials like rubber and cork as those materials impede the rapid evacuation of energy out of the system. Damping the slab is better executed with Mpingo discs or similar devices that off load energy rapidly. When we try to Deaden vibration we often wind up trapping it instead. Tried and true mass-on-spring isolating devices usually improve upon such mundane devices as slabs of marble or granite on cones.
Sunnyjim,

I am in the HVAC/Lab equipment field an have access to all kinds of vibration elimination products directly from supply houses and manufactures. I tried all kinds of things to isolate my system from vibration.
The best thing I did was build a closet to hold my source equipment. It is on the other side of one of the main carrying beams of my house. Only my speakers and amps are in the listening room. I can bounce a basketball in the room while playing a record with no ill effects.
I use SS amps now and do use pads and slabs from Zoethecus that were used for my source equipment before I built the closet.
You can see most of my system in my pictures here on audiogon. The system has changed some as I seem to NEVER stop upgrading this endless hobby.
Geoffkait,

I agree but with having limited space of a 1/2" spring isolation is either very expensive or not possible. There is also the WAF factor as make springs look nice without restriction of the spring is a hole different ball game.
Okay, fine. I'll answer my own question. This topic has come up before and I mentioned I use soft fiber scratch pads under the feet of the gear. About 2.5 in. squares. Virtually nothing gets transferred through them so exotic platforms are not necessary. I was interested in learning about other decoupling methods as Geoff mentioned. I think mine beat the springs, though.

Has anyone tried neodymium magnets?
Csontos,
I read your post about using the fiber pads and was impressed with the "outside the box" solution. Now my question is what size pad to use for a 20# cdp or like unit? What's your experience?
Seems like a great low cost way to isolate a player.