Stylus Rake Angle

I am trying to set up my new VPI 3D arm as close to perfection as I can. On the Analog Planet, Michael Fremer gives one opinion, however, a different opinion was voiced by Harry at VPI, and Peter at Soundmith. I've been discussing this with them....Fremer says that SRA should be adjusted even if the back end of the arm is WAY high up as needed, whereas Harry, and Peter said to start with the arm in a horizontal position and move it slightly up and down to find the sweet spot. Peter said that my cartridge (Benz LPS) and some others have an additional facet in the diamond so bringing the arm up in back would be exaggerating the proper SRA. When I wrote back to Fremer, he answered with an insistance that he was correct. Does anyone want to add to the confusion??
128x128stringreen
Peterayer:

>I wonder if anyone has thought about designing an arm which would automatically compensate overhang and VTF for VTA changes.

Certainly. To maintain a constant VTF, the tonearm vertical bearing should be kept at the same height, regardless of VTA changes. It is probably best to align the vertical bearing axis to the LP surface, as doing so will minimize changes in effective arm length that would be induced by VTA changes or record warps.

To maintain a constant overhang requires that the tonearm pipe is raised and lowered on a curved rail or post that has the same radius as the stylus-to-tonearm-bearing distance. Easy to do with a linear-tracking tonearm (the Eminent Technology designs are a good example), a bit of a head-scratcher otherwise.

hth, jonathan carr
I think the Arche headshell (from Dertonearm, aka designer of the Axiom tonearm) allows for changing VTA at the headshell. I think this would fit Jonathan's requirement for changing VTA without changing the height of the vertical bearing, so as not to alter VTF. And of course the Arche could be used with most pivoted tonearms. I have no affiliation of any kind; nor do I own an Arche headshell. I don't find it to be a terrible bother to re-adjust VTF. What I usually do is get the VTF in the right ballpark, then settle on VTA, then finalize VTF, and Bob's your uncle. There is such a thing as "good enough".
There is such a thing as "good enough" indeed!

As for no VTF change with VTA change, it is complicated. Springs do NOT do acheive this as they are linear force per displacement devices, and VTF varies as a trigonometric function. Therefore, the compensation system for changing VTF with VTA to make VTF constant would need act in proportion to a trig function. Too complicated, best to adjust center of gravity height for minimum change in VTF with a given VTA change, and if you make a big enough change in VTA to actually change VTF meaningfully then just adjust VTF.

All tonearm guys who say their perfect height of the pivot point, the height of the counterweight, the underslung nature of their counterweight, or their spring, are not very good at trig, calculus, and running the experiments or they would know that they are wrong and then confirm it with the tests.

Changing VTA at the headshell brings with it several other problems while trying to solve a problem that readjusting the counterweight would have solved anyway.
Lew, I haven't carefully studied the Arche headshell, so take this with however much salt as you want.

Since the Arche's pivot for VTA adjustment appears to be placed above the top of the cartridge rather than at the stylus tip, it seems to me that it will alter the overhang and effective length along with the VTA.

hth, jonathan carr
Thank you Kiddman. But my question is really an assertion or really an assumption that although the angles may not have to match, SRA still needs to be precise and exact irrespective of the stylus still making full contact with the groove within that 3 degree allowable tolerance. I'm suggesting that that 6 degree margin is actually far larger sonically than the math suggests. Where mathematically that exact point is, is anybody's guess and seems to me what this discussion is all about according to the op.