I know, there is no 'best', but...

..is there any consensus on AV processors in terms of the best?
I have an AVR now, and I know the future holds a processor and seperate amplification for improved sound quality.
On a related note, what is the consensus on room correction programs? Is there a 'best' for that, or a 'diy' procedure that is preferable? The YPAO in my Yamaha consistently tells me incorrectly I have speakers wired out of phase, so if it gets that wrong, how can I know what else it's wrong on?

Good 2 channel is also important, so does that mean a good audio pre-amp is necessary (HT passthrough?), or is there a processor with good 2-channel performance. I know that's relative, so let me clarify a little by saying I'll have a total speaker investment under $20K, built over time, so let's not stray too far into the realm of diminishing returns.
english210
Ok, more good options. Thanks. I am thinking of having all separate amplification (either one 7 channel, or adding a 5 channel to my current 2), so an avr with amps would be redundant - I just can't help thinking outboard amps are a better way to go, given my past experiences. My Yamaha AVR held it's own well in comparison to the outboard Yamaha amp I was using, but switching that for a higher quality outboard made a huge difference.
Once did a comprehensive AB comparison between a then flagship Yamaha DSP-A1 and Denon AVR5600, back in the day. The speakers I used to compare were little bookshelf B&W DM601's and also full range Mirage M5i tower speakers, as driven by the two afore mentioned AV receivers. I did movie and movie demo's with the speakers, and compared. Then, we switched in a separates Denon DA-8200 power amp for stereo 2 channel music duties. IT WASN'T EVEN A FAIR FIGHT! The performance of either the Denon or Yamaha's could not compete with the power and refinement of the better amplifier, regardless of the configuration (small vs large setting cross, etc) we ran!
What I learned? The amp's in these AV receivers leaves quite a bit on the table, and are not so special.
DO look to get quality amplification in the system, regardless.
Yeah, I've been made a believer there, at least for mains. I had my mains on the AVR and then added my Yamaha amp back in, and didn't hear much difference, but on the advice from another thread, I got an Odyssey amp of the same power rating, and it was night and day!! The receiver is running the surrounds still though.
Correction! The comparison was DSP-A3090 and AVR5600. My bad.
Yes, and if I had to run a receivers amp sections, I'd be using their amps as run "small" only, and likely, preferably only to driver surrounds, and or super efficienct speakers, ideally. ..or for less significant system applications.