Audio Research pre-amps?

Hello,

I have an Audio Research LS-3 pre-amp paired with McIntosh MC60 mono-blocks. I use an NAD 546BEE CD player and have Nola Boxer speakers on Skylan stands filled with floor dry. The cables are Kimber Heros and 4PRs...and I just added a REL T7 subwoofer.

Anyhoo...my latest thinking is that the system is a just a touch too bright...not much-just a little.

So my question is: I'd like to stick with an ARC pre-amp. Is there a model I should look for that might be a touch warmer? Maybe a tube version? Nothing too new and under $2000..$2500?

Thanks much,
Aaron
neo-luddite
I always felt the LS-3 was a great AR preamp, specifically for it's neutrality and open sound. I'd suspect the speakers.
If local is an issue, there are other manufacturers of tube preamps in your town.
I gotta second the love for the sp16, its a very focused preamp. The preamp is not bright at all, the bass isnt super deep but tight, punchy and fast. That preamp and a decent turntable is a good combo. If your looking for a more tuby sounding preamp, then go vintage an sp8mki is the most tuby pre ive owned. You can turn that up and never get bright, very involving pre with deeper bass. The mids are not as focused and its slower, but is more fluffy. def a better pre for cds. I also just got an sp8mkii and thats just the best of both worlds and more detailed than both. I dont know anything about the ls3 but maby check out the ls5 if you dont want a phono stage.