Music Servers - Baetis vs. Music Vault

I, like many, are looking to add a music/media server to my system.

Aside from fabulous sound and performance, I really want ease of use, with minimal involvement from a computer.

My preference would be a unit that has the hardware to rip/store my cd's, download high-rez files from the internet, set up playlists and then kick back and enjoy the music.

As I explore the options in the under $5K price range, both Baetis and Music Vault are floating to the top.

Ripping and playing Bluray is a nice bonus, but not critical.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has compared these two brands, in your own system or demo'd at a recent audio show.

Which unit sounds best?
Which unit is easiest to use??
Which unit has the most features???
Which unit is the best value????

Thank you.
barrelchief
I made other front end changes at about the same time that I brought in the Rev-2. Therefore, I did not get in a lot of "critical" listening, and comparing the Rev-2 to my transport.

With that being said, I am comfortable in saying that my perception is that the sound that the Rev-2 puts out is as good, if not better than when I was using a transport.

I also will tell you that my digital front end, with all of the recent changes, has never sounded better!
Barrelchief
Thanks for the detailed info on the Baetis. What I meant is that I'm looking for a Dac-less unit as there are several brands on the market with an onboard dac that for me is useless. I believe the baetis is indeed dac-less right ?
Ahhh...gotcha.

Correct, the Baetis Rev-2 has digital outputs, to connect to your DAC.

It does not have an onboard DAC.
Jeffkad,

In response to your questions:

Q1: Is there a difference between the USB and SPDIF outputs in terms of sound quality? Is one better than the other, and by how much?

A1: A good question and in general much of this is dependent on the DAC design. As I understand it, some DAC designers will invest more in the USB output than the SPDIF output. Alex from APL Hi-Fi can chime in here but I believe he invested equally in both which I would expect at this price point. I have been ABing between the two for the last week or so and I cannot consistently distinguish one as better than the other.

Q2: Why are you using a separate PC to rip and download into Baetis? Have you tried ripping directly with Baetis, and if so, any difference in sound quality?

A2: No real reason other than to preserve the optical drive in the Baetis which can also rip Blue Ray discs. I ripped a few discs on the Baetis, also using DB Poweramp, and for me, no difference.

Q3: Am I correct in my understanding that the Baetis can operate as a PC/browser (with maybe iPad as head?) and can be used to find/download hi-rez track directly?

A3: Correct. I was using my Windows laptop over the weekend to remotely control the Baetis at the listening position but there is also software for the Ipad as well to take control of JRiver. I also downloaded some High-Res files direct into the Baetis using the internet browser from HDTracks. Note that Baetis restrict the websites that you can access to preserve system integrity.
Vicks, thanks much for the info. Honestly, I find it very interesting and a bit odd that the Baetis sounds so good via it's USB output when John Mingo readily admits that he didn't really do much with USB other than to include it, preferring to focus on BNC-SPDIF output because he believes it sounds better. So we have a fairly standard USB output (no soTm usb card or the like), with a switch mode PS (as opposed to the heavily favored Linear PS), and an almost fully functioning PC (with the OS and associated browsing/ripping/playback applications running), all of which seems to run counter to what many other server builders contend (including just about everyone at Computer Audiophile, Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio, Antipodes, Lumin, Musica Pristina, Aurender, Mojo, Core, etc.). I just don't see the special sauce here, so it makes me wonder if any server will work well within reason. I am just about to pull trigger on either Musica Pristina or Antipodes, as it seemed they put more effort into their servers and especially their USB output, but all this Baetis-appreciation is making me pause and consider. Look forward to more input. Thanks again...