Tube vs. SS Dilemma

Hi there Audiogon Community
Need some serious help and don’t know who to talk to but you guys. I have been upgrading my system for the past year and a half now, selling and buying stuff. First I went the tube route, bought an Atlas Magnum Amp, Cary SLP 03 Tube Preamp, was dreaming the liquidy tube dream, was amazed at the upgrade from an old and tired hybrid amp I had. Sources: estoteric DV50 for cd and vinyl via a Lenco TT and Ear Phono. Mainly listen to jazz, classic rock and some bits of classical.
But got a hold of a Mark Levinson Preamp, a 380 model and had a spare Krell 250a amp, hook the esoteric cd player to this second setup and was just blown away, I always thought that my heart would always be glowing with tubes or at least a tube/ss setup, but man am I enjoying the SS turn, the bass carácter of the Krell is addictive.
So my question is: What is happening? Am I just shocked “temporarily” by the ML/Krell combo? Should I just wait for a while and do a second and third shootout between setups? Or the fact that the ML/Krell combo is much better – in terms of the models I have vs. the tube models – part of the reasons that explain the differences and should look for better tube amp/preamp before seriously comparing the two?
As soon as I listened to the ML/Krell combo, my first thought was to keep upgrading my system the ss way, instead of the tube route, but before I make drastic changes want to hear from you guys’ experience. I don’t want to make this a tube vs. ss question, therefore I hope the details of the inquiry help steer away broad answers in that regard.
Should add the speakers I’m using with all these setups: GoldenEar triton 2’s. Thanks in advance. I always enjoy reading the forum, but now I had to ask the question before declaring this a case of mild audiophile schizophrenia.
Thanks.
128x128musicgeorge11
Again thanks for your comments, all of them. To answer Jond's and Phd's question: Yes - in a quite desperate attempt to cling to some tubes in my system, I was getting really nervious at this point (phono stage does not enter the negotiation, love my Ear)- I did try the Cary/Krell combo, and it was better - in the sense already described - much better that just tubes, but not as detailed and specially the soundstage with the ML is dead centre, perfect, a perfect balance, not with the Cary, it leaned more to one side. Then I started to wonder if this ensued some tube rolling research for the Cary, but I just stopped and acknowledge the fact that I just liked the SS better, then I decided to start this thread, etc.
Did I answer your questions? Let me know, I still want to learn more about this. Maybe a different tube preamp will work wonders with the Krell amp.??
System synergy is a "dark art" and, unfortunately, the right combination can be elusive. I can relate to your quandary but advise that you go where ever your tapping toes lead you. Who cares about the technology as long as you have a smile on your face?

However, if after several weeks you find yourself missing the tubes, you could try some more modern tube systems that strike a balance between the virtues of tubes and solid state. Unfortunately, those set ups are very pricey. The ARC Ref 3-5 preamps come to mind as well as Conrad Johnson's CT5/ET5 pre's. These are all very transparent tube units and can easily handle the most complex and dense musical passages you could ever find. I use a CT5 with a Conrad-Johnson solid state Premier 350SA amplifier and this offers the best of both worlds to me. But my Thiel 3.7's are nothing like your Golden Ears, so there's no way to know if such a combination would work for you. Golden Ear owners with tastes similar to yours may have discovered some killer combinations you've never thought of.
I am also partial to the tube pre and ss amp. I have an Audible Illusions 3A w/John Curl MC phono section and had the AI 2D for over 20 years and loved it. Only traded up to the 3A so I could go back to using low output MC cartridges. The 3A is quite a bit better and has the latest tubes AI recommends. The 3A now has it all--lucid mids, tight bass, see through sound at all frequencies and you can get one for about $1300-1600 with fresh tubes if buying pre used. I have an old 1999 Edge M6 SS amp but added 3 Star Sound small flatter Audio Points between the transformer and the amp chassis, thus replacing the 5" rubber gasket that was there. The sound became much more lively, dynamic and detailed without ANY harshness. I also use Sistrum racks from Star Sound. The use of them under all components had the same gains only like double in quantity. Also have the super Lenco ala Jean Nantais with most of his recommendations and a Modwright 9100 Signature Truth cd/sacd with all the tube mods. I have VMPS RM40 speakers with all the upgrades. The sound at this point is marvelous. The AI with your Krell amp would probably give you the best of both worlds--tube and SS with very little or no regrets. Think about it--I was satisfied for 20+ years with the same preamp even though I obviously got the upgrade bug like most everyone else on Agon. No remote, but the sound is fantastic.
Hi Musicgeorge,

I have a pair of Krell monoblocks 400E with an Audio Research Reference 5SE and it is wonderful.
I suspect other combinations of Krell/ARC will work also well together.

Best
"System synergy is a "dark art" and, unfortunately, the right combination can be elusive."

That can be true, but I feel that letting component selection evolve to "dark art" status, is a choice more than anything else. Every audiophile builds 2 systems. The one in his head and the one that ends up in his listening room. You want them to be as close as possible. Otherwise, yes, it will definately turn into a dark art.