Build a TT based set up for $5K

Hi everyone,

I've begun a fun and exhausting search for the "perfect" components to make my Hi Fi system. I've decided to go the turntable /2 channel stereo route.

* I would like to keep the total budget around $5K.
* The TT should be new/near mint.
* I have no problems getting "gently used" amp set up or speakers.
* I generally listen to classic rock, reggae, some classical.

TT candidates:
* VPI Traveller
* Rega P5 or 6?
* any other suggestions?

Amp: Should I go for an integrated amp and get a separate phono stage or are there any good all inclusive amps?

Speakers:
I was looking at some used speakers and came across Atlantic Technology AT1 speakers for around $1800. Any thoughts? Other recommendations are welcome!

I'm a newbie making my first foray into this really complicated and intimidating world (My head is still spinning after reading all the jargon filled reviews). I'm mostly looking to find component combos that have been proven and give me the best value. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance,
Arjun
arjundas
Thanks for your great response, this is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. Any opinion on the Atlantic AT1 speakers I mentioned?

Do you think it would make a big difference to get a dedicated phono stage or should I get a integrated amp with phono like the Maratnz pm5003?

I've been hearing so many great things about the Traveller, that it might be the one I settle on. The "recommended" cart was the grado... is the MC3 turbo a better fit?
I have no experience with the gear you mention (marantz, grado, atlantic). I know what works for my ear and my system and many people agree with how the components in my system work. I have been a musician (trumpet and french horn for over 10 years) performing in many live venues and this setup just sounds right to me. I think you would be very happy out of the box with my recommendations. It will take a little effort putting it all together, especially the cables and maybe the Traveler with an Ortofon, but that is half the fun. Happy hunting...
The Traveler/ Ortofon 2m Black is a very musical combintion. I have been having a great time with this pair for the past 2 months. As far as the rest of your system, take a look at this
http://odysseyaudio.com/odyssey-reviews.html

You would benefit from the synergy of the system. The stuff is built like a tank and it's hard to believe the prices. The sound has to be heard to believe. One of the well respected and always well reviewed companies.

A Traveler-Ortofon front end with an Odyssey system will lead to some long happy nights.
Thanks Sbrown and Zen for your responses.

I was reading the reviews on the Odessey products and it seems like they are really solid and an excellent value for money.

Choices... Choices!
Sota Star with vacuum platter, Sumiko ft3 arm and Ortofon 2c Black cartridge.
PS audio GCPH. Has remote volume so can drive amp directly.
Odyssey Stereo Amp
PSB Stratus Gold i or Synchrony two speakers.

All purchased used.