Audio Research PH6 Phono Stage - How is it?

I know most of Audio Research stuff is top end with little complaints about anything they make. I like tube gear and have more of a preference for the tube sound but looking for a phono stage with little noise. I know the PH8 reference phono stage is a true reference standard but way out of my price range. So that brings me to the PH6, which retails for around $3,500. Not too many reviews on this one and hasn't been compared to other phono stages at a similar price point. There are some good competition at this price, especially the Herron VTPH2, which is also a great phono stage. Does anyone have any information about the PH6?

My current system is Primaluna Dialogue HP Integrated Amp, VPI Prime turntable, Ortofon Quintet Black MC cartridge, Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers. Much appreciation!
djfst
"08-05-15: Djfst
Zd542, not sure what people in my position are to do. If you don't have any local audio shops to listen in person or demo, cannot bring stuff home on a loan, what else do you do but ask in forums, read reviews, talk to stores/reps over the phone who are familiar with your system, and then buy? I hear what you're saying though, but I don't' see how else to match. You could buy cheap stuff first, but I would still be in the same boat trying to match stuff I've never heard in my actual system. This is a major problem in high end audio without brook and mortar stores. "

Sorry. I just saw your reply.

I understand your points. They make perfect sense. That said, high end audio doesn't always make sense. I know that you're just getting started and want good stuff, but you're doing way too much all at once. If you continue going down this path, you'll most likely make some very expensive mistakes. One thing that new audiohiles almost never pick up on is performance vs price. Generally speaking, as the price/performance of components rise, the more difficult it is to get good sound. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but its true. High resolution components are not forgiving. If you're new, its much easier to take $5k and build a good soundind system than $25k. So looking at your statement about how you'll be in the same boat if you go with cheap or expensive gear, yes, it seems to make sense on paper, but it won't hold up in reality. You have absolutely no frame of reference by which to judge anything you buy.

I'll give you a couple of examples. Take this thread about the ARC PH6. When it comes to signal transfer, the lower the voltage, the more delicate the signal. That's why preamps/phono pre's tend to be expensive. Your Quintet Black has an output voltage of .3mv. I don't know if its such a good idea to match it with a mid line SE tube phono pre that has only 1 gain setting of 57db. To me, a demo is a must just to see if the combo will even work properly, let alone sound good.

Another example would be cables. I see your other posts on what Nordost cables to buy. Understand this: There's no guarantee that either one of those IC's will sound as good as the free cables they give you in the box that come with components. Sometimes the free cables sound better.

I could keep going on with more examples, but I think I've given enough info to make my point.
I appreciate your response, Zd542. I can see exactly what you mean. My own major purchases have been components I've heard together and really liked. I don't like an over ally clinical sound that gives a great musical presentation for 10 minutes but it is not something I could listen to for hours or months or even years. I knew tube gear what I wanted and the Sonus Faber match that warm sweet midrange I favor so much in vocals and my music genres. I similar read that the PH6 and other Audio Research phono stages are not good for low output MC cartridges. I've always favored the Herron as the tubes can be changed easily to give up to 69db gain, which should be plenty. Cabling is another story. I will follow your advice and demo some cabling starting low in the Nordost and Cardas lines and work my way up. I will then see what I like and see if I can get cables to audition in my specific system before making any decisions. Perhaps your point is why so many items are on the Audiogon Classifieds?
Zd542 has given you some sage advice. One idea is to make contact with posters whose systems and music tastes appear similar to yours, and ask if they are up to a visit from you. Spending a bit of time and cash on travel may save you from expensive mistakes and disappointment. Seasoned listeners have likely travelled the less ideal roads you hope to avoid, and they can explain them to you during your visits. Good luck.
I used to have the 834p. It was a great phono pre-amp for the money. The only thing is when I owned it, it cost 1295.00. At the 2000.00 range you might find something better.
What are ARC PH-7's and 7-SE's going for these days on the used market? I've had both in my system for lengthy periods of time. The "SE" is better than the non-upgraded one, but both were very musical. Using the PH-8 now, and its killer. these phono stages work best with cartridge outputs of between .4 Mv and .8 Mv.