Best speakers, used, for around $1,000.

Want a good match for the following:
Power amp: Moscode 600
Pre-amp: Rogue 66 Magnum
Old Speakers: Thiel 3.0a's.
The Thiels did alot of things well; open, detailed, good low-end, but a little bright (probably due to that EQ from Thiel). I'd like to get something a bit less bright, but with many of the positive qualities.
Dumping the Thiels because the mid's need rebuilding and the tweeters blow easily. So, I guess durability might be something I need as well.
Thanks for your opinions!!!
bdunne
Tannoy: System 12 DMT, System 12 DMT II, or System 1200.

Some who are used to speakers designed for domestic environments find the dynamics frightening, but it's worth it.
I'd have to second the Vandersteen suggestion. They represent a great value in the used market, as long as you don't mind the look. They don't look bad at all, but just aren't a beautiful piece of wood cabinetry, which is desirable for some. The sound is very neutral with good presentation thruoughout the entire range, and will not appear bright. My son likes to say that they don't sound like speakers - you just hear the music.
I just picked up Magnepan 2.7s for $1k on Audiogon and they sound amazing, even with an old Aragon 4004 MKII amp driving them. I think they would sound better with your setup. They're not bright but are very detailed and open. Bottom end is a little light but everything else is there. It's obviously a different type speaker with a different sound than your Thiels.
Try Thiel 3.5's. I sold mine 8 years ago for ProAcs but ended up missing them terribly.
There are many used magnepan 1.6QR speakers from $750-$1,100 on audiogon. If you can place them 3-4 feet from the rear wall and 8-12 feet apart they will give you the best bang for the buck unless you listen to heavy rock music. They like a lot of power so you need to see if your amp is sufficient. Take a listen at your local high end audio store if you can. They are more coherent and open than most box speakers at three times their price.