Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I think servers are a better way to go, by far, depending on how they are built and how they run. Yes, less is always going to be more in programs.

The servers are "theoretically" better because they are already optimized for audio, and should be minimized for this. The Totaldac Server is the best that I have tried.

Look for the ones that continually update software, and the companies that can do custom software for your setup even. For example, and in my case, the way the router and NAS communicate with each other and the server. This can all be changed. Chose the LAN transfer rate, fifo settings, etc... This is all very important for the sound.

With the softwares Vincent (Totaldac) has available, I can drastically change the way my system sounds. It is really quite extraordinary, and on the level of entire component changes.
11-04-14: Wisnon
If you use a computer as source, the current rages are HQPlayer upsampled to DSD256 in Windows ASIO or Windows Server 2012R2 in CORE mode.

I have been told that straight USB beats any converter with these two approaches, so maybe the low hanging fruit is optimization of software filtering, or killing needless computer background processes.

Winson, have you been told the theory on why that's better? How is jitter addressed?
Yes, but too complicated to get into here. Phil from AO has spent over 3 years on this problem alone and he is a full time IT guy and gave me a lot of insight.

Suffice to say TIMING is maybe the most important thing in audio and he uses only Windows SERVER OS and encourages a SERVER class motherboard.

Its well and good that some people talk about server being optimsed, but they really have to say HOW in detail.

I dont want to belittle filter tech and POWER supply, as those are critical too.
So, my DAC only handles 44.1, 48, 96 and multiples up/24 - no 88 and multiples. Given that limitation, is it worth purchasing the 88/24 or the DSD version of Indian Architexture? Thanks.
If your Dac cant handle DSD or in any case has its sweetspot at 24/88, then buy thta!