Tuff decision, need help

Hello folks,

I've recently purchased a PSB GOLDi, to match a McCormack DNA-1 and McCormack TLC-1 pre-amp. I also have a Sunfire subwoofer, but I rarely use it.

The thing is that, although I'm close to satisfied with the PSB's, it is very far from perfect. My main complaint is the lack of clarity in the highs, and the muddiness on the bass side.

I was considering trading my PSB GOLDis (new edition) for a pair of used B&W Matrix 801, old as hell. I always liked B&W but never have gotten the chance to acquire one.

Do you guys think the trade might pay off? How about the amp, will it be enough to drive the power hungry 801?
jmabe
My very humble opinion is like Marakanetz'--to me, your speaker change looks like a sidegrade. Different sound, yes. The PSBs I've heard had OK highs, though, and that makes me wonder about your source.

You don't mention your source. My second humble opinion is, garbage in, garbage out ( no I didn't make that up ). In other words, the things you feel are wrong may be coming from further upstream than you think. I don't mean your source is garbage, I have no idea what it is. But I have seen many systems here with pretty good electronics and speakers, all reproducing (quite well) the sound of an entry-level source.

I feel that, given a $3G budget, for example, if you spend 4 or 5 hundred on the source and the rest downstream you are not heading for great musical satisfaction. Turn that ratio around and now you're talking fun. Further upgrades will just let you hear how fine your source is.

If you already have EMM Labs, Ensemble or a decent Linn at the front end, of course, I didn't say anything.
To me, PSB's have always sounded a little thick in the warmth region and lacking in definition. If you wanted something that had better attack, definition and focus, i could easily see someone moving from PSB's to the B&W sound. Sean
>

PS... One of the worst pairings of gear that i've ever heard at an audio show was when a local dealer mated NAD electronics and PSB speakers. Most NAD gear has their typical "house sound" i.e. slightly warm and soft. This did not help with the PSB's elevated mid-bass bloat and lack of definition. Kind of a compounding of problems if you ask me. The sound came across as very thick and indistinct to say the least. Having said that, i think that McCormack electronics would be better suited to the house B&W sound than to the PSB's. That's just my opinion though : )
I use a Pioneer 563a as the source. Good for SACDs, but poor with Cds. I also produce music, so I use my M-Audio soundcard as source sometimes.

I feel exactly what Sean mentioned about the PSB, lacking in definition. I will try to get myself a B&W. But they are so expensive nowadays...
What about a Paragon Regent? It has Dynaudio Contour drivers, and it is supposed to be really good. Would that be a good replacement for my PSBs in your opinion?
If you can get you hands on a Paragon Regent, run, don't walk (assuming the price is right)! I've had the bigger model (Jubalee/Jem) for 6 years and wouldn't part with them for the world. They replaced my Quad 63's. The only difference between this combination and the Regent is that there is a slight improvement in the bass and mid range clarity, which in the Regent is not shabby to begin with. The Regent is a very neutral speaker in the best sense and given the right electronics will produce very natural sounds. The will make your PSB's sound like some Bose product. IMHO.