B&W exposed tweeter on top design....

Just curious...anyone know when B&W started this design?...did they invent it as well...they are often associatted with it...
128x128phasecorrect
Didn't Klipsh horn put the tweeter exposed on top of the Klipsh Horn, 1940's?

Thanx
Russ
I have heard all the technical explanations about why the tweeter benefits from an isolated location, but I really wonder if it is not just a styling feature for marketing reasons. Lots of excellent speakers have baffle-mounted tweeters.
Great response Eldartford...this is really the heart of my initial question...although I failed to include it...at any rate...I feel exposed tweeter designs...or good ones at least...truly due benefit from the additional "air" and "open" qualities...any other thoughts...also...didnt Swan have a tweeter on top design a few years back...thanks...
This approach helps reduce baffle related diffraction problems. The other solution is to use some type of "acoustic blanket" like AR and Dunlavy used. Sean
>
Of course, if you have been reading my comments about "suspended speakers" you know that I do like the idea of having the drivers separated from room boundries as well as baffles (my planar speakers have no baffles). However, as sean points out, there are other ways to eliminate baffle effects, but none that so clearly identify the product from the marketing point of view.