GMA Europa owners, what amps do you use?

I am in the process of evaluating the Europas with a 45 Watt tube amp and a pair of solid state monos. After preliminary comparisons, I can see strengths of both approaches. I am wondering what other GMA owners are using to power their speakers.
128x128tcbannon
Phasecorrect- I will be looking into that. If we were to change the tweeter, the circuit mods may be ones that you can't get your hands in to perform (nor could we). The woofer stays the same.

One would have to knock out the old crossover circuit (via a block and hammer), from which we could salvage maybe $25 of parts, with a half-hour to strip those out, and a few bucks credit for getting the old tweeters back. Two new circuits with tested, matched tweeters would be ~the price differential to the new speaker. Plus a fair amount of install work at your end. And it still wouldn't have all the improvements.

At the moment, it would seem selling `em to a buddy and getting the new ones would be the best way to have a comprehensive upgrade. But I will look into it.

Pete- congrats on the new baby! You'll be a great dad.
You are entirely right about listening "habits". We do what we need to do. Remember, the middle-ear bones are bridged by a small muscle that contracts to protect against loud sounds. This changes much of your hearing.

Listen loud and long with some good wine, and the muscle stays locked up, then relaxes some, as your mind eventually says "nothing here to worry about, ok?" But it still never relaxes completely.

During that contracted phase (like after a concert), several things happen:
Your threshold of hearing has been raised (friends need to yell at you),
the tone balance changes (for less bass and highs),
dynamic inflections are not as strong (less subtleties, and "big" changes need to be "bigger"),
the body takes over "feeling" the bass, because you are vibrating different parts of it more and more,
the pitch of the song rises (for psychoacoustic and/or mechanical/biological reasons).

So you are shocked the next day. Just don't do that every evening, and chances are your hearing won't suffer too much beyond what you lose with age, and by living in a city instead of in the country, in my experience.

But if you blow things up, we have parts. So proceed onwards, Mr. Whitley. Dad. Mr. Mom?

Just don't expose the little one to even a moderately loud TV program for extended periods (like an hour) if you can avoid it, ok? But you will expose him/her to music, right?

Have a good weekend y`all!

Best,
Roy
Hey Pete, a word of advice from the Dad of 2 very sound-sleeping kids: DON'T BE EXTRA QUIET for them. Listen to TV, stereo at normal volume (within reason), talk in normal voices. If you go around whispering "shhhhh, the kids are in bed", they will forever wake up at the slightest sound, and you might as well sell your speakers and buy headphones.......LOL. Further advice, avoid the basinette in your bedroom, put em in crib in own room from the first night home, or you WILL regret it. They will be just fine, and believe me, you will awaken from across the house at the slightest whimper anyway....
Roy, thanks for the advice, this little amp amazes me, even driving NHT VT2's for the time being (yeah, yeah, I know). Amazing little amp for my first venture into tubes, and for only $600!
OK, so the amp and the Osiris stands are waiting for the Europas. I guess the next purchase is the speakers themselves...........
Roy...thanks for the quick reply...for the moment...and probably well beyond...I am very content with my Europa purchase...every time someone hears the response is always the same:"where did you get those speakers!"...and this from folks who own Maggies,Vandies, and the like...I really dont want to monkey with the cabinet or crossover...so if there is every a time you could suggest a tweeter upgrade without the above mentioned hassles...let us Europa owners know...keep up the great work at GMA...just curious...what is the new price point for the Europas?
Tcbannon-
Let me know what amp you settle with, and why, someday- thanks.
Sounds like you are listening for all the important things.
Best,
Roy
I would like to report excellent results using all Musical Fidelity SS system......amp used is A3.2cr rated 130 watts.
I also use HSU VTF3 MkII sub with Europas.

I currently own several very good pairs of @$1,000 monitors
and what I like most about GMA Europas is they have very balanced natural yet detailed sound which sounds very good on a wide range of real world music.....not just a handful of booring audiophile recording (we all know what they are)
Also soundstaging is close to the best available at this price level.

Some speakers I own are better in certain areas (Von Schweikert VR1 has more vivid detailed treble for instance)
and Europas do not have elegant appearance like others, but as far as overall sound quality and ability to play average recordings (rock) very well I think GMA Europa is as good as any $1,000 monitor I have owned. (we are only talking 5-6 top rated @$1,000 models here)

Also I wish people would tone down the "hype" a bit and only report what they have direct first hand experience with and not make exaggerated general statements about these vs other much more expensive speakers.

One other comment I prefer the Europas on upturned cones on speaker stand, instead of cones I use brass capnuts with dome top turned up into speaker bottom. Some pictures can be seen in system 1.