New vs Used when buying please share thoughts

Hi!
I would like to get peoples thoughts on new vs.used equipment. Is there anything you should not buy used such as speakers due to warrenty loss etc.. I am in the begining stages of setting up a system. I thought why not pose the question before I get knee deep in the buying process. I am new to the hifi world, and would like the comments from people who are in the know. If used is the way to go is Audiogon the place to buy it? Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? I want to thank people in advance for responding to this thread. I think your responses will make my decision clearer. Again Thanks to everyone.
saint2
I prefer to buy Cartridges new since they are so delicate. NOS tubes are also preferable to OOS (old old stock). Aside from those I believe used gear will give you the best value.
Anything with moving parts(like turntables), buy new. Anything without moving parts(like solid state amps), buy used.
In the past I've had problems with used cd players and transports. This is a piece you may want to buy new, and find something with a good track record.
Be very weary of "independent" sellers with tons of feedback and lots of products for sale. They are most likely working through a dealer and just whoring out the products with no warranty, or consience.

This is not a hard and fast rule, but look closely at history.
Used is fine except for cartridges. Had lots of used speakers, CD players, TTs,arms (check bearings), tuners (tube leak troughline) and tube amps (be prepared for service or new tubes). Just make sure you can hear it first or get a MBG from seller