New vs Used when buying please share thoughts

Hi!
I would like to get peoples thoughts on new vs.used equipment. Is there anything you should not buy used such as speakers due to warrenty loss etc.. I am in the begining stages of setting up a system. I thought why not pose the question before I get knee deep in the buying process. I am new to the hifi world, and would like the comments from people who are in the know. If used is the way to go is Audiogon the place to buy it? Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? I want to thank people in advance for responding to this thread. I think your responses will make my decision clearer. Again Thanks to everyone.
saint2
The most important issue other than finding equipment which has "syenergy" w/each other, your tastes & the room in which these components will be going in, is the SELLER'S reputation/track record of honesty and integrity. Good communication is vitual as well. Trust your instincts. I've bought quite a few things on AudiogoN and E-bay and "knock on wood," so far not one single issue. Proper packing of the item is essential. Absolutely nothing wrong w/buying used as long as you know your seller. There are always risks involved, however. My 2 cents. Bill
Post removed 
My entire system, except for the rack, was constructed from Audiogon. When you can buy something at 45-60% less than retail with no tax, it is hard to argue with that. There is no doubt that there is risk involved. However, I would never have this system with this risk.

There is risk in sending a stranger a cashier's check.

There is risk in shipping heavy/delicate equipment, no matter which carrier you use.

There is risk that you can get carried away and overextend yourself with all the unbelievable buys.

That said, I personally think the risk is worth it. You can pretty much find anything you want here. Speakers are the most problematic. I would suggest purchasing a demo pair from a dealer through audiogon, so that you can have the full warranty. Ask the seller to take detailed photos of all the sides of the equipment out of the box and in the box in case you need to process a claim through the shipping company. If you purchase speakers that have good customer service, ask that they be shipped first to the factory for evaluation at your cost. Look for reputable sellers with good feedback, long-time members, and those that contribute to discussion. There are plenty of dealers online who have stores you can call. Make contact by email and phone so that you can get an idea of who you are dealing with, especially for the big-ticket items.

There are some really good seller here, who are very professional and reasonable. Sometimes unfortunate things out of anyone's hands do happen. Just remember to remain reasonable and try to work it out. Also, if you are the type that expects a piece of used equipment to look and smell like brand new, then you might be set up for disappointment (although almost all the things I bought were extremely well cared for).

Good luck,
Rob
I have been building a high-end system from money saved while in the Mid East for the Iraq war. Around 90 % has come off Audiogon--and I would say I built about a 35-50K system for a bit over 20K. Buying used is the only way to go if you cannot afford to upgrade as warranty nears or as a new model is introduced; with a price that would take some people's entire years income to buy! Most of my stuff is 2-5 years old and cost twice to three times what I would have paid new.

As for turntables, arms, cartridges IMHO should be bought new (too fragile to ship and could have been damaged or abused), for speakers they should be heard first, however if you can get some good advice from fellow Audiogoners, buying a set of used speakers is a good idea, but remeber to ask for pictures and consider the shipping costs. Also are there repairs available?

I buy all my cables and tweaks of Audiogon and so far I have not had to give any neg feedbacks and I feel that msot out there are honest. Any other inputs form Audiogoners!
I agree with the other guys..Audiogon has alot of really nice and honest audiophiles selling gear.Regardless if it's new or used. I personally only buy from someone who excepts paypal.No matter how good the product looks.If I can't go and pick it up.. paypal is my only payment option.I am also more comfortable buying from someone with at least a little feedback.But everyone has to start some where so I can give the benefit of the doubt if I talk to them on the phone.If their unwilling to give a contact number I won't bother.
My biggest gripe is communication..if the seller has poor communication I pass them by.