old JBL studio monitors

(old) JBL Studio monitors seem like an interesting deal on ebay (or here on agon).

But what makes a "studio monitor " a "studio monitor " ?

How well have 15 (20?) year old JBLs aged? I do know about failing foam woofer surrounds. I would imagine the caps in the crossovers are getting unhappy too, maybe.

Any thoughts?
lester_ears
It depends I guess how well they were cared for and if they've been stored properly. I have a pair of Original JBL200 studio Monitors,purchased late 60s.Still in perfect playing condition.Woofers are mint,as are everything else. I did take very good care of them ( babied them realy ). I hand rubbed them with Linseed oil twice every year.I occasionally take them from my cellar and play them till I get bored and packem away for a few more years.I would love to know what they'd cost to build today?????

I own a pair of JBL L150A and if I'm not wrong they were manufactured in 1982...they sound great !!!
I changed the foam a year ago and they are in like new condition, replacement parts for older (good ones) JBL speakers are quite easy to get.

And for the exact definition of what a studio monitor is, I really don't know so I'd preferer not to speak.

Go for them.

Rgds,
It depends, the 150a's are good, I use to have a pair. The 212s had a very uneven frequency response.. Research the particular model that you are considering carefully. Stan
I have a pair of 4350 and believe me that is sound.DEEP BASE, natural impac sound, the presence is there.
I have JBL 4333AWX's (basically the studio version of an L300). With Quicksilver KT88 monoblocks I find them smooth and very relaxing.