Couple of questions on the Merlin VSM speakers...

I'm interested in these speakers. I thought there used to be a dealer in the SF Bay area, but none is listed on the Merlin web site; I'll check to confirm this, but I'm asking these questions because I may not be able to demo them. They will be located in our living room and serve double duty as serious listening and casual listening. Most of these questions are in regards to casual listening. Our room is about 24x14x9. Side reflections are not an issue.

How do they sound at low volume?

How do they sound off axis?

How do they sound placed close (10-18") to the wall behind them (we can pull them out for more serious listening)?

For more serious listening, how much of a difference does the BAM make? We'd like to avoid the clutter of extra boxes.

Finally, just how red is the Ruby Red color???

Thanks.
budrew
Budrew,

I am in a dedicated room 20 X 14 treated with MG Tunepack and 4 Argent Room lenses. My VSM M speaker fronts 72" inches from rear wall and about 5'6" apart (Rule of thirds). They throw an incrediblely deep, wide SS filled with holographic images that is to die for.

I suggest you use Bobby's set up guide as a reference and try the speakers w/o the feet at different locations in the room and when you find a spot that has the best sound, mark it with tape, install feet and be prepared to be wowed : ))
Tubegroover, when I first heard the VSM-MX at the Merlin plant just a week or so before we brought them to CES, I thought the improvement was about 15% over the VSM-M. However, after spending more time with the speakers at CES I think the improvement is greater.... I find it very tough to put numbers on things becuase when you get down to it, one guy will think a 15% improvement is nothing and another guy would think that it is a major difference. I will say the improvement is *significant* and that I tend to be conservative when assigning numbers to descibe improvements.

Rich Brkich,
Owner, Signature Sound
I think you have a fine system and would be a solid candidate for the VSM M. Let me know when you are looking for speakers because I may be able to find you a second hand pair at a great price that has the latest technology.
I MX is very new and will not be out for 3 months. It will not replace the Millennium but be available in addition to it. It retails for $10,000 and has some additional proprietery technology that makes it even better but only if you have the finest of systems.
Regards,
Bobby@merlin